Swabs to test the breed of dogs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

missllama

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of this before? i saw something about it on telly the other day but it was in america, and then my mum and godmother were talking about it yesturday and how its availible in some places in australia but wernt sure where

i want to know if anyone here has had it done, where u can and whats it like cost wise?

i would love to no what breeds my dog is, when i bought him i was told jackrussle x fox terrier but if anyone has seen him they will tell u thats deffinatly not all he has in him lol

Apparantly its not very accurate, a friend I talk to in America says she had her dog tested just for the heck of it (she knew his lineage and breeds) and the test came up totally different to what he actually was.

Ha, ha. my wife has the same breed.

Looks like a miniature santas little helper from the simpsons...:lol:

The little mongrel can jump a 5 ft fence with ease too...

The only thing I've heard is DNA testing to test purity of DIngos, and even then I don't think it is 100%. Not sure they could get any sort of accuracy with swabs to determine breed. Not surprised its a yanky thing, they'll fall for anything, even Barack Obama :(

I hear it's not that accurate either, similar to what VixenBabe said, I know someone who had their purebred American Pit Bull Terrier tested to test if it was accurate, and it came up with American Bull Dog, Cane Corso and a couple of other things :p

lol hallie would love to see a pic!
lmao falconboy thats gold hahaha, i must admit i have seen everything lately availible in america... prick ur finger put the blood on a square of paper u get with the pack and send it off when ur pregnant and they will tell u if its a boy or a girl... costs hundreds to do aswel LOL i wouldnt rely on that!

when i saw this i wasnt sure how it would work but was interested to know more about it, i dont see how it can be to accurate unless its more for checking if a dogs really a purebred etc?

The test is available in Melbourne. Breeders have been asked over the last 2 years to supply oral swabs from their purebred dogs (my kit is still sitting there unopened in a draw). The purpose was not to determine breed for curiosity sake but to determine if crossbreeding has been used to enhance characteristics in some pure breed dogs (e.g if one breed is used to introduce an otherwise rare colour into another similar breed for financial gain such as blue colouration from staffies into american staffys) and to determine the true identity of a breed in court case scenarios (suspect crossbred purchased puppy or pit bull being called an am staff in a council dispute).

ohh i see what u mean dan thanks for that, has that test been accurate for the people who have done it to determine if crossbreeding has occured?

yeah its available in melb, we have it at work it cost about $100, and will tell you back to the grandparents. in the form of primary and secondary breed that have influence you dog. you even get a report that explains about each breed. pretty nifty i think.

there is a place near me that does it. they draw some blood and check it out!

i wouldnt mind knowing what my rottie is crossed with, we were told ridgeback but i dont think so. im think wither pitbull or staffy, he has a lovely shaped head!

i might give them a call & see how much it costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back