Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Linus said:
Ok. So you are saying we should reduce the penalties for illegal smuggling of our native animals?

No. Linus..I'm just saying it's higher than what i thought :) It's just my opinion mate. Don't be to serious at what i said :wink:

cheers
koreanmug

I mean't green eyelash viper

Okay okay, don't start talking vipers, you'll make me sad. I'm still trying to maintain the belief that death adders can be my life long substitute.

Great site Hix!
I loved the albino king snake 20 january 2004.

Sdaji said:
...less animals would leave the country if exporting was legal and more of them would be captive bred. The money would go to the right places, including (probably) government royalties. Legal exporting would benefit wild reptile populations in Australia, this arguement doesn't exist for exotics in Australia.

Its a nice thought, but that's not correct Sdaji. If you open up trade, you make it easier for people to smuggle stuff out. There will be unscrupulous people (those who care about the business and not the animals) trying to make big bucks by rorting the system. Reptiles will be collected illegally from the wild to make up the numbers in large shipments, or to fill orders outside the breeding season. In short, native wild reptile poulations will not be better off.

The only way the African Nations were able to have any effect on the illegal ivory poachers was to have a complete moratorium on trade in ivory in any form. It didn't stop the poaching and smuggling, but it made it much harder, and drove the prices up so that demand was less. When they relaxed the constraints so that some nations could sell the stockpiles of confiscated ivory, paoching and illegal trade increased. Kenya was so concerned about this that they refuse to sell confiscated ivory and periodically burn several million dollars worth of it, just to make the point.

But I agree with the arguments for keeping exotics out of Australia.

:p

Hix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back