Tell me about wildlife caring - reptiles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inspiration

Not so new Member
Reaction score
What would be needed to set up, like how many enclosures? I have been told that it will be at my own expense, and I can have 1 or 10 it's up to me, but I'm wondering if anyone would have any recommendations on how many would be a good number? We currently have just 4 wildlife carers who take on reptiles, and we live in an area with lots and lots of snakes. We had a couple in our yard last week and one on the road in my street a couple of weeks ago. We back onto a hill and they come down quite often. Most people take on the furry animals though like the possums and kangaroos. I had a hard time trying to find someone to take on the python that was run over by a car. Turned out to be someone's pet, but I couldn't get it to a carer so just took it to the vet because I know her assistant has a lot of snakes and spiders so she might be able to do something with it. The owner ended up ringing around the vets so pet and owner were reunited after a couple of days, but it was still a concern that no carers were available for that beautiful big python.

That's what stopped me from buying one for my daughter actually, it seemed that people in our area are happy to own them, but not many are happy to be carers for those in need.

I'm thinking of getting 3, 2 for snakes and one for turtles since we've had turtles here (in the bath tub lol) when they got lost after the floods.

Sorry for the long explanatory post, it's just hard to know which direction to go in. It's myself and my little girl in a 3 brm house with a substantial yard, so we're not crammed into a tiny unit or anything.

Anyway, thanks hey.

If you haven't already, I'd be joining WIRES (or local equivalent) organisation in the first instance as they'll offer access to a network of like minded people (both local and state wide) with experience in caring for local herptofauna. Also, importantly, they'll cover any insurance and legal issues and any vet and transport expenses you'll undoubtably aquire.

If you have little experience in handling venomous snakes, I'd highly recommend attending a ven relocation course with WIRES or a privately run company (or both) as you won't just get the cute and cuddly ones all the time:)!

Hope this helps.

Thankyou, yes expensive such as food, medicine, courses in basic first aid for reptiles and administration of medicine, travel expenses, insurance, etc will be covered but the set up costs are mine to cover. I'm ok with this because I figure if I ever stop and want to buy one, I'll have everything ready to go.

I've been around venomous and non-venomous snakes my whole life (and it drove me mad when doctors were giving "anti-venom" to my mum lol it is NOT called that!) and am pretty confident with how to do that. I also think it will teach my daughter to appreciate wild animals better than if I were to purchase one for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back