The right central bearded dragon set up.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutchy88

Reaction score
G'day all,

So I'm jst gettin set up for my first central beardy. Im only new to the game so I thought I'd get some ideas and ask a few questions any help would be great.

I got a 100*50*50cm wooden virvarium, two lights one for UVB on for heat, red desert sand, a rock hide slash water feeder and a large log at the heat end and a food bowl. I think thats pretty much all I need (if ya think I need anything else let me know) so a few questions, is it ok to have the UVB and the heat light in the same spot so he can get both at the same time? Whats an ideal heat (both hot and cold end of the tank)? Is it ok to get two beardeys from the same clutch living together? What watt heat light is recommended? Is a thermostat necessary? Any help on this stuff would be greatly appreciated just want a happy healthy beardy

also a newbie to this but can help with some bits
make sure if your keeping water in there to keep an eye on the humidity and have only a few mm deep if at all - they are from the desert and dont see much water they get most of it from their food and just give them a spray once or twice a day.
i have my uvb and heat at the same end - i dont see how it would be a problem unless having them both their heats it up too much
hot end high 30s - about 38 -> basking temp around 40 - 41 -> cool side high 20's low 30's
make sure they can get about 6 - 12 inches away from their uvb and they will choose where they want to sit depending on if they need more or less heat.
i wouldnt get 2 unless you know they are going to be both girls or a girl and boy. 2 men will fight if they are together when they get older even if they are clutch mates. you would have to seperate the male and female in breeding season anyways i think so 2 girls would be the best IMO
what watt ey ? i picked a 75 basking heat lamp - exoterra and 75 uvb - the 5.0 - because she is little - i have a 10 but she was very lethargic switched it down and she perked back up ! i will swap it out in a month or so.
i dont use a thermostat... i have the lights on timers and can check the high temps and lows on my thermometer and so far so good !! :)

i have a 120 x 60 x 60 cm and that set up with the heat bulbs works well for me - i am in fnq though and its already hot haha

here are a couple pics :)

omg almost forgot - not sure if the sand is a good idea for a hatchling :-S i am going to get a tray of sand when mine is a bit older but i am terrified of impaction at this stage :-S hence the green fake lawn! haha

i hope this helps :)
27012012322.jpg19.1.12 1.jpg

Hi and welcome
(my opinions only)
Firstly the tank size is the absolute bare minimum l would have for a single beardie. Got to remember these gorguz creatures can grow up to around the 60cms in length.
I would ditch the sand for 2 reasons.. Much easier to spot clean with newspaper. And you have a high risk of impaction from sand.
You need a basking spot of between 40 and 45 degree's. I have a basking light and a uv fluro tube.. gotta remember that the fluro puts out a bit of heat too so l run a thermostat so l can better control the temps.
I use a 10.0 UVB fluro tube. 40 watt basking globe and l also have an oz moon globe for added heat. I do not heat overnight as temps n my house stay pretty resonable (don't normally go below about 17). Alot of bearide don't drink from a water bowl, l mist Yoda and his branches every second day and he loves chasing the drips of water. BUT l also have a small dish of water.
Beardies love to climb so you might wanna think about some branches. If you need tips on food, let me know. i reommend setting up your own beardie friendly garden so you know everything is chemical free.

Welcome, You can get 2 beardies from the same clutch but depending on gender there may be problems but some people say they never have any. There are many different globes available but I use a Philips 40watt spot globe gives good temps in my enclosure you can get them from woolies so buy a couple off different wattages and find what works for your enclosure, as people have said they use a UVB fluro tube you could give one of those ago. Many people recommend a thermostat just to be on the safe side but I currently don't use one and I get temps of 40-42 degrees (basking spot) Make sure you have a cool end so they can regulate their temps. Red sand I heard can cause the underside of a beardie to go red after a long while though. I use washed beach sand from bunnings easy to keep clean and you'll find your beardie/hatchie will love to dig in it. The breeder that I got mine from told me using tiles, newspaper for a substrate can cause toes to grow long and to one side but that is over a very long time and also if they have nothing to climb on.
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back