thorny devil lizard

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aussiekev.n.s.w

Reaction score
hey every one i was wondering if you are able to buy and keep thorny devil lizards they look so mad i want one so bad lol.
p.s if u can buy them and u know any 1 selling plz pm me cheers kev:D

Hey,

I am not sure about if we can buy them but i know they are extremely hard to look after because all they eat is ants or something along those lines. They eat 45 ants per minute.

Cameron

Not practical for most ppl to keep but i think there are or have been some in captivity, try searching the forum, but you can forget about keeping them.

yea, you can buy them but you will be looking at paying $4000-$5000, not hard to keep as long as you have a good ant nest nearby

not only do they eat crap loads of ants I believe they only eat one variety of ants, so you'd have to know your ants too. They are the wickedest of reptiles. found one out bush about 3 weeks ago.

As Cris said, search the forums. There have been at least 3 discussions of them in the last 12 months.

:p

Hix

Gee I can catch 'em where I live. :) Wouldn't take one out of the wild myself, they're too cute.

Last edited:
Thorny Devils have been kept in Captivity before, by a zoo if my memory seves me correctly, with great success, however there was a lot of trial and error working out how to maintain such large quantities of ants for them.

I beleive they "rotated" each animal between enclosures , this allowed the ant colony to re-cooperate between feeds.

I honeslty dont think the "average" keeper could manage this species aswell as they really need to be.

there was a really good article on keeping them in reptile australia magazine. one method used was literally a giant outdoor pit and they would throw in animal bones etc to attract teh ants in. anouther was they got old cat food tins or whatever lined them with flywire then rubbed catfood etc on the inside and stuck it next to an ant trail. then take it and stick it in the enclosure.

also if i remember correctly the ones that were fed pinhead crickets ended up dieing!

andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back