Thorny devils

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If i remember correctly thats what one the last threads on this species concluded, in a pit outside where you can provide ants all year round.
Your friends a lucky person dan, what area of Australia does he live in?

I know of atleast two people in South East Queensland keeping them in indoor enclosures. They haven't had any breeding success that I know of, but it seems to be feasible. They are a species that I would sell my soul to be able to keep but are way too maintanence intensive for us.

I know of atleast two people in South East Queensland keeping them in indoor enclosures. They haven't had any breeding success that I know of, but it seems to be feasible. They are a species that I would sell my soul to be able to keep but are way too maintanence intensive for us.

That sounds interesting Jonno, do they have the ants inside too ? or keep them going outside and just collect when needed ?

Last Easter we had a driving holiday to Ayres Rock where we got to see Devils in their natural environment. Unfortunately most of the Devils I saw were road kill..... We found about thirty of them on the road, but about twenty of them were already dead..... we managed to save and reloacate about nine of them off the road however there was one poor little feller where I couldn't turn the cruiser around quick enough and met his maker right in front of us when a car travlling in the opposite direction went stright over the top of him...... The kids (and I) were devistated.
I too would love to keep these little gems and intend to one day..... However I'd like to get a little more time up as a herper before I take on something so challenging..... I did speak to a bloke who used to keep a pair in his bedroom for two years..... He said that he used to have a coke can (with a little bit of coke still in it!) on his window sill which attracted the ants.

Cheers

Ps. Check out the shirt on my little apprentice (son) was wearing on the day!!!!!

Attachments

• Matty with Devil.JPG
    Matty with Devil.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Out of harms way.JPG
    Out of harms way.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 76
  • Road Kill 1.JPG
    Road Kill 1.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Road Kill 2.JPG
    Road Kill 2.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 70
  • The three Devils.JPG
    The three Devils.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 61
thats awesome! i want to see some of them :p thanks for sharing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back