Tiger snake shed problem please read

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Razon

Not so new Member
Reaction score
as with most people when they get there first snake they make mistakes, mine was with sticky tape -_- my baby tiger snake decided to get cheeky and escape from the enclosure only to find himself stuck on some heavy-heavy duty tape...after that little drama and a bit of scale damage (only about 3 scales were pulled out) he started to shed and he has gone all dull i didnt see the eyes go the bluish/milky colour they are ment to so im not 100% sure he is shedding but i am 98% sure due to behaviour/skin colour.

anyways the problem is its been about 2 weeks since he started the change and ive soaked him for about 30mins last night in warm water with a co**** rock for him to move around on but still he hasnt begun to shed, normally shedding problems dont appear to be that bad but due to him being a dangerous animal i cant just "assist" him in the shed by rolling his skin back...im not sure if shedding problems can harm the snake i do assume it can if left for too long so im asking if anyone could please give me some advice asap...i have read up on all the techniques that work but most require you to physically help the snake except for the tub of water and that has not worked...

For some reason I don't think the sticky tape was your mistake... More the fact that your first snake IS A FREAKING TIGER SNAKE:shock: and your FREAKING TIGER SNAKE:shock: was able to escape!:shock::shock::shock:

My advise for now is to wait a few more days and see if it clears up.

A freaking tiger snake:shock: as your first?

You can assist him to shed if you use a tube, but for now, just keep the humidity up,just a bit, and the baths are good.
You could place him a damp calico bag and keep it warm and he may rub the skin off while he moves around inside.
That has worked for me before.
My first snakes were tiger snakes and copperheads.
Cheers

You can assist him to shed if you use a tube, but for now, just keep the humidity up,just a bit, and the baths are good.
You could place him a damp calico bag and keep it warm and he may rub the skin off while he moves around inside.
That has worked for me before.
My first snakes were tiger snakes and copperheads.
Cheers

Yeah im gonna keep on giving him baths i just hope he will hurry up and atleast put a crack in the skin so there is a beginning point for his skin to easily come off :(

For some reason I don't think the sticky tape was your mistake... More the fact that your first snake IS A FREAKING TIGER SNAKE:shock: and your FREAKING TIGER SNAKE:shock: was able to escape!:shock::shock::shock:

My advise for now is to wait a few more days and see if it clears up.

A freaking tiger snake:shock: as your first?

Not too much choice if they are in say Tassie

Razon put up pics of the little tiger ...would love to see the little fella ....and yes abbott he is from Tassie ..so a tiger snake isnt so alarming for a first snake ...

here is a pic of the little guy when i first got him hes a bit bigger now prob 2.5/3ft atm i will try and get a pic of him with his scale damage/shed problem as soon as i can

http://img522.imageshack.us/i/mysnake.jpg/
mysnake.jpg

I figured he must be in Tassie, but still, a tiger snake when you have zero experience?

If this keeper gets bitten when he makes a mistake (and it is very likely! the snake has already escaped!) and the media runs with it, it is putting in jeopardy the of the rest of us keeping our snakes.

IMO, if you live in Tasmania and want to get into snake keeping, move to the mainland.

Wow only 3 snakes to choose from in Tassie

Species Authorised by Herpetology Permit
Reptiles

Bassiana duperreyi - Three-lined skink
Cyclodomorphus casuarinae - She-oak skink
Egernia whitei - Whites skink
Lampropholis delicata - Delicate skink
Niveoscincus greeni - Northern snow skink
N. metallicus - Metallic skink*
N. microlepidotus - Southern snow skink
N. ocellatus - Spotted skink*
N. orocryptus - Mountain skink
N. pretiosus - Tasmanian tree skink
Pseudemoia entrecasteauxii - Southern grass skink
Tiliqua nigrolutea - Blotched blue-tongue
Tympanocryptis diemensis - Mountain dragon
Austrelaps superbus - Copperhead snake
Drysdalia coronoides - White-lipped snake
Notechis ater - Tiger snake

Amphibians

Crinia signifera - Common froglet*
C. tasmaniensis - Tasmanian froglet
Geocrinia laevis - Smooth froglet
Limnodynastes dumerilii - Banjo frog
L. tasmaniensis - Spotted marsh frog
Litoria burrowsae - Tasmanian tree frog
L. ewingii - Brown tree frog*
Pseudophryne semimarmorata - Southern toadlet
(*less than 6, no permit required)

Austrelaps superbus - Copperhead snake
Drysdalia coronoides - White-lipped snake
Notechis ater - Tiger snake
.........................copperheads and tigers are beautiful snakes ...white-lipped would be a pain in the butt to look after imo..tis ashame you tassies cant have anything else in the snake world .....

Sounds to me like he's not quite ready to shed yet, usually the eyes go milky then clear again before a shed which has't happened yet so I would just wait & see what happens over the next few days.

I figured he must be in Tassie, but still, a tiger snake when you have zero experience?

If this keeper gets bitten when he makes a mistake (and it is very likely! the snake has already escaped!) and the media runs with it, it is putting in jeopardy the of the rest of us keeping our snakes.

IMO, if you live in Tasmania and want to get into snake keeping, move to the mainland.

i see your point about people having zero experience keeping dangerous snakes but i have quite a bit of experience with snakes i just simply have not kept my own before, and i also have the help of one of the best herpatologist's in tasmania who i will hopefully be working with in the coming months :)

and i really do hope he isnt quite ready to shed yet i will just wait and see but can any serious problems occur if he does not shed?

here is a pic of the little guy when i first got him hes a bit bigger now prob 2.5/3ft atm i will try and get a pic of him with his scale damage/shed problem as soon as i can

All the baby tigers I have ever had were around the 6-7 inch mark, I would hardly call a 2.5 - 3 footer a baby.

Imageshack - mysnake.jpg
mysnake.jpg

i see your point about people having zero experience keeping dangerous snakes but i have quite a bit of experience with snakes i just simply have not kept my own before, and i also have the help of one of the best herpatologist's in tasmania who i will hopefully be working with in the coming months :)

and i really do hope he isnt quite ready to shed yet i will just wait and see but can any serious problems occur if he does not shed?

I would not worry too much, chances are he will shed when he's ready. They are as close to bulletproof as possible.

If he is having a problem shed use a calico bag with a small amount of wet sand in the bottom. The sand will act as an abrasive to the shedding scales.

Baz ive always wondered how easy it is to get a wild venomous snake into a tube for say mite checks etc. Any vids of it?
With wild snakes ill usually head grab it while tweezering off mites and looking for bumps ect..
Really is a lot easier with a second person to do the mites while i keep hold of the head.
That's one of the (many?) times my wife comes in handy.
Cracks, putting a hot pi$$y snakes head in a tube is not for the nervous.
Ideally you cool the snake a little first ,in the field this isnt practicle, but with Razons captive it might make more sense.
Lol, a video??
Check youtube and Ill put one together over the next week or so.
Cheers

Mate, I always grab the head and stuff it in the tube,then tickle its bum and it moves in to the desired depth.
Its easy but it's still hands on.
Cheers

Attachments

• thtr.JPG
    thtr.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 66
  • kuy.JPG
    kuy.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 64
  • fyy.JPG
    fyy.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 68