Trapping pigeons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonno from ERD

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
G'day guys,

We have an absolute ton of feral pigeons around here. I have half a dozen freerange chooks on my property and every morning I throw out a few scoops of food for them, which attracts the pigeons down. I counted about 35 of them this morning...so, the question is, how do I go about trapping them? I have Googled "pigeon traps" and they are available commercially but I'd rather not spend $200. I've caught a couple in a cast net but that's pretty innefient.

do you wish to rid them of eating ur chooks food or do you wish to catch and use them? If its to stop them eating ur chook food, can you have an enclosed area for ur chooks to go in and eat so the pigeons are not taking the food? problem is they now know that u are feeding everday and are opportunists. not an easy task to trap them, but i wish you all the best.

lock the chooks up for a few days and poison the pigeons or find a exterminator who works for beer

or when i was younger i used to trap them with a old bird cage that has a sliding up and down door put some seed in the cage and a stick about 1/3 the way in the door depending on its size holding it up and when they go in to get the seed the stick gets knocked over and the door goes down.

Last edited:
In the olden days when I was a kid we used to catch birds with a cage with a hole on top big enough for the pidgeons to drop thru with wings closed but too small to fly out with wings open. Unlike parrots pidgeons cant climb out using beeks

G'day mate,

The carpets I'm feeding are all orginally wild caught (seized by EPA), and have never been wormed or treated for any other infestations. Whilst I plan on euthanising and freezing the pigeons, it's not as big of a risk as it may seem. Also being housed in a large, outdoor aviary means they aren't as susceptible to parasite infestation as they aren't constantly exposed to their faeces like they would be in a standard indoor enclosure.

I won't be feeding them to any of my other snakes...

Cheers

Just make sure neighbours haven't decided to try and poison them as well.

Soak some wheat in scotch over night, chuck it to the pigeons and wait 10 mins.

Id put down rabbit traps and then scatter seed everywhere over the top. Hehehee

That's a brilliant idea Mike! I'll give it a go tomorrow morning. I'm guessing Vodka would work the same way?

Hi Jonno, we have caught feral pigeons and fed them to our diamonds.....we keep them in a cage for a week and feed (Obvioulsy) and worm them.

other than the loan of a trap from Danny this is the most logical answer!

Although you'll have to wait for the pigeons to sober up before dispatching them. The other problem you have is that the half pissed pigeons don't realise they are drunk until after they have flown back to their perches in the neighbouring tree. They may not all end up in your yard after the party. This tends to draw a lot of unwanted suspicion from neighbours. I'll keep an eye out for you in the local paper "pigeon killer on the loose". It happened once at Uni and drew an awful lot of negative attention.

Although you'll have to wait for the pigeons to sober up before dispatching them. The other problem you have is that the half pissed pigeons don't realise they are drunk until after they have flown back to their perches in the neighbouring tree. They may not all end up in your yard after the party. This tends to draw a lot of unwanted suspicion from neighbours. I'll keep an eye out for you in the local paper "pigeon killer on the loose". It happened once at Uni and drew an awful lot of negative attention.
AUSTRALIAS MOST WANTED ...local man found taking advantage of drunken pigeons claiming he was geting them for his snakes.......:lol::lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back