Tropical Cyclone Hamish

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
slight change of direction in the last update...

Imagine this...

Instead of it hitting the coast south of Yeppoon or Hervey Bay... it turns east and heads back to re-fuel so to speak and then returns with full fury.

I've learnt over the years about the Met Service from many countries... One thing they'll always do is exaggerate the situation. If they under exaggerate then 'heads' will roll.

One year when I was living in the South Island they forecasted a mild snow storm... unfortunately the snow was so heavy in August that farmers lost millions of stock heads. It was such an amazing storm of huge proportions that most of Canterbury in the South Island couldn't operate for weeks!

People questions the met service then big time... From there on in, even if it was a little flurry - they'd broadcast huge storms - just in case!

I assume it's the same with Cyclones.. always report it one category higher than it is and make poeple really prepare 'just in case' - because cyclones have this tendency to be slightly chaotic in their approach to land.

With this reporting if they said it's a Cat 3 cyclone, most people wouldn't care... Allow them to believe winds of up to 300km/hr are floating around the inside, action occurs. when it hits, no one is hurt, no one is killed, everyone is well prepared. Do heads roll at the BOM? Nope!

Do people say, thank god we prepared for the worst, but the worst never came? Yep!

They do that with Hail storms in Sydney now, anytime there is a chance of a storm there is also a warning for Damaging Hail stones. I think it goes back to the Huge Hail storm that hit Sydney and from memory they didn't even predict hail.

Feeling the effects still, way down here.
Had wind gust's just over 60km/h already, I know its nothing really but way above average.

If BoM's map is right, looks like it will move away and then curve back in heading SW nailing from Fraser Is. south. Will post the map for any one interested.

Sorry can't be bothered uploading it to photobucket.

Attachments

• Hamish.gif
    Hamish.gif
    16.8 KB · Views: 85
My family are on the Sunshine Coast and they are hoping it weakens before getting down that far. I kinda want to see it do something completely unexpected, like 360 and head north again.

My family are on the Sunshine Coast and they are hoping it weakens before getting down that far. I kinda want to see it do something completely unexpected, like 360 and head north again.

No! Hamish is ours!:lol: As long as he is nothing too destructive, which I don't think it will be going by the forecast.

Dan if you post the link of the actual 'gif' it will update automatically on here as well:

Using firefox - right click and copy image location. Click on the Insert Image icon on your message box here, past in that link and it will continually update as the site updates.

IDQ65001.gif

They use the same number and gif so that this can be done - you needn't continually copy and save the image.

Whitey - I agree - they should state hard cold facts - but... When those hard cold facts are bred by a chaotic system, those hard cold facts become cloudy in judgement - so doing their job properly now entails exaggerating the facts to a 'just in case' scenario. There's a safety net involved now. And it's probably a little bit wise to do so :)

Though I did once read a book called "The boy who cried wolf..."

Who thinks up the names for cyclones ??

Not exactly sure what list they use but I do know that they go alphabetically and alternate between male and female names. When a significant cyclone rolls through, they never reuse it's name.

Not exactly sure what list they use but I do know that they go alphabetically and alternate between male and female names. When a significant cyclone rolls through, they never reuse it's name.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_cyclone_naming the next on is Heidi

Its all dark and windy here and not feeling right. I'll go and have a boo-peep at the sea on the way to work. The TV is saying that it will land at Hervy bay but the latest ABC is saying it won't hit land
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/03/09/2510611.htm?section=justin

winds have really picked up here now ....we will know by this evening and tommorrow morning .

I hope it comes futher down the coast line... we are getting storm clouds here and the wind has picked up a bit..

really? in manly already!? woooooo i hope we get a bit of the blow down here! come on over storm :D

:D i'll dig out my rain jacket. actually... better make sure my animals are undercover for the day, darn chickens :p

Im currently in Gladstone and with the rain we have seen since Friday is nothing worth talking about. So far in that department it has been a big let down.

woooooh the breeze has picked up, really starting to blow. 100% cloud cover, birds are quiet. putting the chooks away in their run. animals coming inside soon !@ wooooh

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back