tub users!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

m.punja

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I know tubs aren't everyone's favorite idea for housing reptiles but some people are happy to use them. I found some big tubs not to long ago, close to 4 foot long and about 2 foor wide, not high but all my collection are ground dwelling reptiles so it is good enough for them. However they are pretty flimsy atthis size and the lids aren't the best, especially when you are housing elapids in there. Also i wanted to be able to use bask lights on the tubs as I have a few skinks too and if need be would like to be able to house them in the tubs. So I got a couple of these tubs, gave them to a mate and asked him to make me some lids. This is what he come up with and I am extremely happy. To compare size I have a photo of one of my water pythons in his tub, that water python is around the 4 or 5 foot mark. Hope you enjoy.

b002-4.jpg

b003-1.jpg

b004-4.jpg

b005.jpg

Along one of the long edges are three piano hinges. Along the oposite end is a handle and three bolts and wingnuts to keep the lid closed. All in all I am very happy with the end result and will have a few more made up soon.

How are you going to set them up? Isn't the point of tubs is so that you can use them in racks with cords/mats, etc.? If you're going to use basking lights, then they won't be able to be stacked or put into racks (without a lot of modifications)?

Mate i'm a chronic tub user, i love using tub's. Great idea seems smart and easy access, id buy a few off you ;)

you could make a rack to suit bask lights, just wouldn't be able to fit as many tubs in. I will get a rack made for these and if i ever want to put a bask on them then they will go elsewhere with a clip on bask light.

there's nothing wrong with being a bit tubby nowadays

use a lower wattage globe or put the light fitting on an angle so its up one end and facing the other

Nice Mark ...those tubs are huge , ive been selling a quiet a few of them in racks lately .....
Nice idea on the door too .

I have a couple smaller versions (bells 41L ) and they are good to just not as long..:)

in the end tub for tub probably cost more then slitherin would wizz, was still a lot cheaper then an enclosure.

I use tubs for all my lizards , I started saving fir a slitherin rack but am still umming and argging about the effectiveness of the racks

Any idea of the cost to make one of those lids mate? I'm looking at keeping some blueys in those tubs and have not been looking forward to having to build the lids myself. If your mate is interested in knocking a few more up and sending them to Sydney then i'd certainly be interested. They're 100 times better than anything i could do.

Dicky, i'm also about to build a rack to hold 6 of those tubs for some Womas. How much will it cost me to have you build it for me instead, and do you accept payment in the form of bredli? ;)

Awesome idea...it looks great...you could definitely market those lids...its great to see people coming up with new ideas all the time....whether you put them in a rack or not, its still easier cleaning and cheaper, than buying an enclosure.

personally i find build an enclosure cheaper than buying a tub a good 50lt tub is like 20-30 bucks you can get a 2400x1200 sheet of mdf which will get you either 2x 3ft or 1x 4ft enclosure and looks better. how much did it cost to knock that lid together? only expensive thing about enclosures is the glass

it cost a bit but I'd still prefer the tub. Personal preference. Tubs make keeping it clean easier and will make mite control a lot easier if I ever get it again. Plus don't waste as much space.

it cost a bit but I'd still prefer the tub. Personal preference. Tubs make keeping it clean easier and will make mite control a lot easier if I ever get it again. Plus don't waste as much space.
Dont forget about the heating advantages of racks over enclosures.

great mate. i have 16 of the same tubs in a couple of racks, great size for most medium size animals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back