URGENT -Should I shift python that has struck and coiled into water bowl?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobe404

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As title says. Should I shift her?
She hus struck and coiled a Hopper Rat into her water bowl. I know Pythons can breathe underwater for a while... But how long? Thanks.

Last edited:
Nah mate, pythons and most other snakes are perfectly adapt at moving themselves and their food out of their water owls if the need to. In saying that, if you want to move her, just be prepared she may decide you look tasty and have a nibble.

She'll either let go of it or drag it out of there, pythons can't breathe underwater, they can however hold their breath. If you're paranoid pull her out. One of my jungles has done it a few times, just remember to change the water asap

Yeah I tried to move her a bit but she's determined to stay where she is. I heard her squeeze the Rat even tighter too.

IMAG0319.jpg

It took her a few tries to finally coil it. But she got there. Just a pity where it was in the end.
I've been pretty lucky with all three of mine. All have switched over to Rats with very little fuss.

Last edited:
Mite get abit agressive also if she hasnt started to devour the meal, My childrens python gets very agressive if she thinks im going to take back the mouse lol

I ended up moving her very gently (Rat intact) into the middle of her enclosure over the heat mat and within 10 minutes or so the Rat was in her belly. All good. :)

It would have been fine. Many pythons feed at water's edge because that's where the prey comes to drink. Of course they can't breathe underwater (they don't have gills) but they can kill thir prey underwater then drag it to higher ground.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back