Weird Noise Outside...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakeluvver

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi its night here and theres this odd animal making noise outside. I can hear flapping and chirping/squeaking and clicking. I'm thinking its a bat? Just wondering what it is, what do you think. I've heard it 2 nights in a row now.:|

No idea, sorry.

Might help to elaborate on what your hearing, what kinda squeaking and clicking/chirping?
Might also help if you add where abouts your located.

Flying Fox = fruit bat - very common here at the moment because the eucalypts are flowering. If you have any fruit trees that are either flowering or the fruit is becoming ripe - mangoes, peaches or anything sweet, they'll be bashing and crashing in the trees, and squabbling all night.

Jamie

Flying Fox = fruit bat - very common here at the moment because the eucalypts are flowering. If you have any fruit trees that are either flowering or the fruit is becoming ripe - mangoes, peaches or anything sweet, they'll be bashing and crashing in the trees, and squabbling all night.

Jamie
Ah thanks, I can sleep easy knowing there isnt drop bears surrounding my house ;) And yes, I have a banksia tree (or something similar) in bloom and we back onto a forest so theres loads of gum trees.

Probably if you look outside just as it's getting dark, you may see them flying in their thousands out for the night looking for food. We have a colony near our place and there are about 300,000 animals in it - spectacular at dusk when they all take off. They fly very quietly but are noisy in the trees when feeding.

Jamie

Probably if you look outside just as it's getting dark, you may see them flying in their thousands out for the night looking for food. We have a colony near our place and there are about 300,000 animals in it - spectacular at dusk when they all take off. They fly very quietly but are noisy in the trees when feeding.

Jamie
Yeah I've seen that happen. Its amazing!
Sorry to anyone who thinks this thread is stupid, I 'm very paranoid and the littlest bump or noise freaks me out for hours :lol:

I had this weird noise like 4 months ago... it sinde like a lion eating something and somrthing suffering,... this continued everynight for like 3 weeks...
te noise however almost resemble a female screamings, and it was coming from the top of the hill... very very weird ? :S

Most likely fruit bats, very common up there.

I used to have a noise coming from underneath the house that I could never quite work out, it would send the dogs barking mad, no longer hear it anymore, but it used to sound something like the sound you get when you're trying to start a lawnmower up, like a cat's purr but a lot more exaggerated, louder and pi$$ed off...any ideas? :lol: Was definitely some sort of animal running around down there and I'm sure it wasn't a cat...

I used to have a noise coming from underneath the house that I could never quite work out, it would send the dogs barking mad, no longer hear it anymore, but it used to sound something like the sound you get when you're trying to start a lawnmower up, like a cat's purr but a lot more exaggerated, louder and pi$$ed off...any ideas? :lol: Was definitely some sort of animal running around down there and I'm sure it wasn't a cat...

Thats the Drop Bears.... :p

Nah, kidding!
Probably possums? They make a growling noise sometimes...scared the cr@p out of me the first time I heard it!

I had this weird noise like 4 months ago... it sinde like a lion eating something and somrthing suffering,... this continued everynight for like 3 weeks...
te noise however almost resemble a female screamings, and it was coming from the top of the hill... very very weird ? :S

We have Koalas around our house, and when they are mating they make a sound similar to your description, lol :)

go outside and look....it usually works ;)

I tried but I couldn't see anything, but this morning I found 2 hanging from our tree, so yes its bats.
And I had no idea koalas made noises like that? I knew they grunted but I had no idea they make screaming noises.

The female screaming noise may have been an Owl, some of their calls you would swear was a woman being murdered up in the bush.

We have a few that roost in the palm tree outside our balcony (bats) ocassionally
we get one inside. They are not too good at navigating around ceiling fans.

The female screaming noise may have been an Owl, some of their calls you would swear was a woman being murdered up in the bush.

Yes, the Barking owl occasionally lets out ( as described in my field guide ) blood-curdling, human like, wavering, sobbing screams :D :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back