Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DamoInPerth

Reaction score
:) Hi guys just wanted to start a thread to see if theres any west aussies that are members of Aussiepythons if so can we use this thread to print any new information on WA breeders, shops, enclosures, i.e. anything in general. As everyone knows WA is very new to the "Keeping of reptiles as pets" well legally anyway so if you are from WA or have any info wak it up here. :wink:
:arrow: Congrats to Aussiepythons for being what i think is the best Australian Herp site around with plenty of info and great info to match

:idea: Also I would be very interested in anyone keeping M.S.Imbricatas and if so can you upload some picks as im very interested in the patterns and colors. THANX :D

DamoInPerth
Welcome to our community mate. We have member from western australia. His name is westaussie. He is friend of mine and one of the most experienced herp i know. Look at his personal album on this site.
cheers Slateman

Welcome to the community Damo, if you are a newbie than almost everyone will be happy to give you help, but if you are experienced than everyone will be happy to have your help. By the way Congrats on the licencing changes, you must be wrapped.
Cheers

Damo, I am a Perthite from way back but moved to NSW 18 months ago for their better reptile laws (well maybe the Mrs' job had something to do with at as well :) ) Good news that WA Govt and CALM have finally got their act together, even if the new laws are the 2nd or 3rd worst ones in Australia. At least you guys can keep something there now, a few friends of mine want pythons once the prices come down a bit.

South West Carpets are pretty rare over here, due to the fact that they have never (or rarely anyway) been allowed to be collected legally and people weren't able to grab a heap of them before an amnesty was declared as has happened with many of our other herps. Imbricata's are a beautiful snake and if anyone has one, I'm sure they would be willing to post some pics to their gallery for you. All I can tell you is that they have a very placid temperament in my experience (my Mrs once had one in her back yard at Helena Valley,) and are one of the best looking carpets IMO.
Good Luck :D

I though that you werent allowed to import reptiles to WA?
cheers

I dont think so, but i think it is them who have the imbricatas for sale, they claim to be the only ones in VIC with them.Their prices look preety steep, would expect them to be quite expensive. URS had some last year for $450 for yearlings.

cheers
Mark

Hey there Damo,

I remember asking if there were any west australians here a long time ago, when this site was new. Back then I was the only one here, now there could be 3 or 4 of us sandgropers.

As far as the new laws are going - well its been along battle but we finally got there!! There are a lot of limitations on the new regulations , but at least we have a licensing system in place now.
If you are looking for animals, advice or equipment then you may want to contact me as my company is a leader in this feild - "west Aussie Reptiles"
I am having server problems at the moment but you can have a look at www.westaussiereptiles.com.au I am still building the site , so it is far from complete.

Brodie We are not allowed to import pythons into W.A, but we may import other reptiles as long as they are on our approved species list.

Are you going to be allowed to export at all?
If not, what if you had reptiles under licence in WA and moved to NSW?
I really want a pair of Barroni you see....
I know they are not really in captivity even over there at the moment but that might change.
Also, the pygmies are pretty highly sought after over here and I would imagine will be fairly common over there in time.

Yeah, like hopefully in a few years the laws will loosen a little and people will be alowed to collect Rough Scaled pythons :D :D :D :D

Yea we can export - but only animals on our species list.
olive pythons are on our list , but we are not permitted to take or keep the pilbara olive sub-species (L. olivaceus barroni ).
Unfortunately - pygmies (perthensis) and rough scaleds (carinata) are also animals that are not included . I do expect the species list to grow but that may take a few years.
So for now we can only work with what we got, but it is a good starting point. I think you can expect imbricatas to become fairly common now that we can breed them, although, we have to supply the west aussie market first as demand & prices will be fairly high to start with.

Roll on summer roll on !!

Barroni are the giant olive python subspecies arnet they i really want one too how big do they get.

Yes, I believe that is correct, I was reading something on them ages ago, and they apparently have been recorded up too 6m, but I forget where I was reading that so I dont know how reliable that measurement is.
Cheers

Hey Damo, I am in the Perth area too. Do you have your reptile license yet? You can go here http://www.calm.wa.gov.au/plants_animals/reptiles/index.html
to print the application form, which you have to fill out and send to CALM. If you wanna get some experience to go for a higher category license then it may help to do the Reptile & Frog Care course at Swan TAFE in Bentley. The course runs over 2 Wednesday nights at the TAFE and one Saturday at the Armadale Reptile Centre. The Armadale Reptile Centre also runs their own private courses in the keeping of different reptiles, and you get a certificate at the end, so that should help. I did the python care course there, which helped me get my cat3 license. To get a cat2 and 3 license is pretty easy, it doesn't require much experience. You can also order reptile food from the Armadale Reptile Centre. You should go there and talk to them or ring them on (08) 9399 6927 and make a booking to do the course.
To this moment the only place I have seen selling reptiles is the Bird & Fish Place in Wattle Grove, on the corner of Lewis Rd and Welshpool Rd. You can phone em on (08) 9453 6044, or email them at [email protected]
They have a pretty good selection of equipment but hardly any reptiles at this stage. Last time I was there, they had a few baby frill neck lizards, black headed monitors, lots of ridge tailed monitors, and lots of green tree frogs. They are very expensive. I suggest you learn how to make your own enclosures, it will save a fortune.
In a few months the West Australian Reptile Park opens. It's in the swan valley. I'm gonna see if I can do some volunteer work there when it opens to get more experience, so I can go for a cat4. You should do the same.
If I find out anything else I will keep you posted mate. Good luck.

Hey Woody,
I am a reptile handler for the West Australian Reptile Park in the swan valley & I also worked with Klaas down there at armadale a few years back. Maybe we have met before, did ya ever drop in and see my display at Whiteman Park ?
"Bird & fish place" in wattle grove & "Exotics" on sacrborough beach rd Both have their dealers licence - Conrad at "Creepy Critters" in Girrawheen will be licensed soon & you will find more getting into it when the animals become available.

At the moment these pet shops are importing a few lizards from over east, but need to access pythons & other west australian herps locally. Only one license to take from the wild has been issued - which puts me under a bit of pressure ! As you can imagine, its not the best time of year to be herpin or breeding ..... (reptiles that is !)

If you wanna do some volunteer work W.A.R.P contact me from my website - www.westaussiereptiles.com.au

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back