What do i do people??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noongato

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Ok, a month or so ago i purchased a brown tree snake, and what a cutie considering he is incredibly violent and no good for hugs at all.......But i was so happy with him.

Now i have recently discovered that i am pregnant (first time) and i had a ultrasound yesterday to discover i am 6 weeks, and im sick as a dog etc, blah blah. ;)

Anyhue, my question is, should i be risk having such a violent snake when he is mildly venoumous during my pregnancy?
And if i shouldnt be risking it, can i bend the rules of licencing where i dont have to have the snake for the 6 months? Could i do a swap or something similar to be on the safer side?

Any advice is muchly appreciated. Thanks :D

cant ur partner care for the snake till while ur preggers?

it'd be a shame to give im up if u like him,..

then again, do u want a mildly venemous snake around ur baby?

you could keep the snake and nothing ever happen but if something ever did happen then would be worth it so ild say get rid of the snake your baby is more important now
im sure if you contacted npws you would be able to work something out regarding the 6months rule

I havnt gotten too attatched to the snake. So he isnt extremely important to me just yet. It would be a shame to a extent, but better to re-home him then be too paranoid to give him top care.

My partner is useless when it comes to my animals. Hehe

Do some research and find out if you did get tagged what are the possible concequences for your baby.

If you contact the dept in your state and tell them your circumstances they may grant you an exemption to the rules.

Cant hurt to ask.

Oh and congrats !!

Yeah I think a congrats is in order :)

Have you talked to your GP? And maybe a ring to a toxicologist may be in order. Since you still have the snake, anything can go wrong from now until you decide to sell it (if you do).

NPWS will grant you early release with a legit reason ...I think you need to send a letter with all your details etc and the reasons , I found it helped to if you had a person willing to take the animal before you applied .

I dont think you are at any risk from a BTS bite any way , a small baby may be at risk though .
by the time the baby is here you 6 months will be up , so you could probably just wait and sell it after that .

Whats more important the snake or the baby.I wouldn't risk it.And when it comes to licencing if they don't show you any compassion the baby is worth a lot more than a fine.

True,
Well i will give NPWS a call asap and see if i can sort something out.

My GP almost fainted at the idea of me having snakes at all!

NPWS will grant you early release with a legit reason ...I think you need to send a letter with all your details etc and the reasons , I found it helped to if you had a person willing to take the animal before you applied .

I dont think you are at any risk from a BTS bite any way , a small baby may be at risk though .
by the time the baby is here you 6 months will be up , so you could probably just wait and sell it after that .
what if she gets bitten when she is pregnet? that will still harm her baby

I read on the net somewhere that BTS can cause cardiac arrest in small children

Congrats! I like babies, but only fat ones they're cuter.

To actually get envenomated by a BTS they really need to have a good old chew of you. I've found they make a bit of a sting and bruise you up pretty good. You don't actually share blood with your baby so i'm not sure that if you were envenomated that s/he would get any of it. I think the risk to you and your baby are pretty slim but it might be a good idea to shoot toxinologist a PM or get in touch with the venom research unit to find out what the effects really could be.

Congratulations! Try dry crackers and water before you sit up in the morning - it can help a bit.

Thanks, Im eating sao's and typing right now :D

what if she gets bitten when she is pregnet? that will still harm her baby

I highly doubt it as it is very unlikely to affect her as an adult and that is if the snake can or does actually envenomate her in the first place .
BTS are not considered to be dangerous any way ....

but i am not an expert so best to get some proper advice , just my opinion .

oh silly me, i forgot to say congrats!

so,...CONGRATS!! :p

Already said congratsssss Mid!!!
Or was it I TOLD YOU SO ? LOL!

Im pretty sure Mid is worried about during her pregnancy, not after.. its not likely she is going to be leaving her baby alone with a snake, so there should be no problem having it after the birth =p

and also... BuMp (which is also what u will have very soon darling :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back