What IS this?! ID asap please!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LadyJ

View attachment 171525View attachment 171527View attachment 171528View attachment 171529View attachment 171530

Okay... what the hell is this thing?! Emerald area (the Dandenong Ranges), found it just before on the front steps when I was out with Briss (shingleback), I thought it was rubbish... but wow! I guess it's a type of slug, it leaves a mucus trail, although it has no antennae. It has a red tipped head and yellow underside... quite small.

An ID would be grand... I'm not liking this thing.

EEW ARE YOU GUYS KIDDING?! I HANDLED THAT! Eugh... you sure? What would it be doing here on such a hot day?

I don't know....but I hope its nothing that makes you itchy :lol:

not sure was just throwing it out there ladyJ ;)

Haha, thank you... either way, I don't know why I touched that thing in the first place. Could it be a type of worm? It's bizarre!

Edit: Eew eew eew a leech! That's DISGUSTING! I'm freaking out now... yuck...

We have something similar to that in our backyard but blue. I think it's a kind of flatworm. They are really sticky.

Just an alien parasite, they crawl into your ear when your sleeping and attach to the brain stem.

Actually justs look like a flat wrom as suggested, although it is a particularly attractive one. Going to google now to see if i can find it.

Eugh... it does seem to be an amazing coloured Australian flatworm. And Cris, don't be mean... I'm still feeling on edge from all this talk of leeches! :lol:

Eugh... it does seem to be an amazing coloured Australian flatworm. And Cris, don't be mean... I'm still feeling on edge from all this talk of leeches! :lol:

Not a leech, leeches have segmented bodies. I used to think these sort of things were leeches as a kid, im pretty sure they are completely harmless though.

Didnt find it on google, but have seen flat worms of similar shape before.

Thanks everyone! I thought it was venomous... we all know in nature the pretty coloured things are the nasty ones! Ah well, it was a great thing to see and ponder while it lasted... :)

seriously go to your closest hospital, the slow worm lays eggs (usually around 50) through the skin of its hosts and they can hatch anywhere from 24 hours after being layed or can even lay dormaint for up to 2 weeks after contact with its host.

once hatched the young live off the white blood cells in the hosts body spreading quickly throughout the body and eventually leaving the host via the anus at adult size.

eggs can be removed with a incision if they have not already hatched.

cheers

donks

Thanks everyone! I thought it was venomous... we all know in nature the pretty coloured things are the nasty ones! Ah well, it was a great thing to see and ponder while it lasted... :)
You thought it was venomous and you picked it up?

Aah... you guys are kidding me. And yeah, I picked it up... I'm really stupid, but I couldn't care less, it looked like a tiny little slug - I thought it was more of a defence mechanism (like if ingested by a predator there would be adverse effects). :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back