Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank

Reaction score
I've just received my keepers licence and I was wondering what snake would be the best to get. I've got 2 young children and i want them to be able to handle the snake under supervision.Could anybody give some advice on what type of snake to get and why.

well deffinetly a python maybe not a scruby or jungle as ive heard they can be a little snappy maybe a carpet python or diamond python ur probley gunna hear alot of different sugestions but in the end its up to what sounds best what were u looking at spending by the way

With children, getting a childrens python would be good as they don't grow too big but can be snappy as a juvenile. Regular handling should calm them down. My preference though is a diamond python. I have one and it never bites and is the best handler and won't even bite afer a feed. But in the end, it is your choice. You will get multiple answers from this site which will make your decision harder. Good Luck:)

This topic has been discussed before on more than one occassion. I personally think you can't go past a Maccy (Spotted Python).

From memory, the general consensus was that Maccy's, Stimsons, Childrens, Diamonds and Bredls were ideal first snakes although all can be a little snappy when young. But, it's fairly easy to find an adult or subadult of those species that are great handlers.

:p

Hix

I have both macs and bredli. u can't go past them for temperment.

i have one word for you.........bredli

i would have to say a python, but choose what you want. my first was one of the snappier carpet pythons(darwin carpet) and i had no trouble. everyone gets bitten

Let me ask you Frank which python do you like the look of? Cause all of them could bite your children if you dont supervise well. lol just kidding :|
I can recommend Bredli if you like a larger python or maybe Stimmies for a smaller but still gutsy smaller python. Both r usually good feeders and great to handle. My kids adore our stimsons named Kylie. :wink: Kids are usually quick to learn respect towards pythons i've found. They(kids) can also be useful 4 breeding rodents 4 your snakes lol. :)

Female hatchling coastal carpet python. Now thats the way to go. Friendly with anyone that handles her, and beautiful looking to boot!!!!

Re: RE: What type of snake should I get?

Teamsherman said:
Female hatchling coastal carpet python. Now thats the way to go. Friendly with anyone that handles her, and beautiful looking to boot!!!!

:lol: Are you refering to that monstrousity Blocker? :lol: :lol:

Get a hatchling whatever in my own limited experience, except perhaps a Scrubby :twisted: Might grow little on the mammoth side of things one day :lol: If you start off with a young snake, you'll both get used to each other by the time it becomes a big snake. The kids can grow up with it and know how to handle it properly.

I have one female Darwin about a year old and roughly 4ft, she was an absolute assassin when I first got her for about 4 months. I can trust my eldest two with her (8 & 5) without a problem of being bitten or risking having her mishandled. My 3 yr old daughter loves her and has never been bitten or looks likely to. It's claimed Darwins have a bad reputation :roll: I'm yet to see it :D

Snakes are what you make them to be I believe. Time and patience will pay off with just about whatever snake you get. Go for colour :D Perhaps just not one with a red belly and black body :lol: :lol:

RE: Re: RE: What type of snake should I get?

What about a speckled brown moose?

I see alot of people are saying Bredls, I have a yearling Bredl and i have to say it bites me everytime i handle it, but calms down. Then my coastal though wouldnt bite me if i had a rat hanging out my mouth most placid snake i've ever had, and of course the spotted, have one aswell and just as quite.

Hah, I have to say that 2 out of my 3 bredli are really not very good handlers, the other is the second best snake I've ever owned :) Saying that, I haven't had much time to handle them over the last couple years, but with the effort I have put in they've calmed down a lot. Most snakes will respond well to regular handlings, though there will be exceptions.

What I think you should be getting out of this thread, is look at the species suggested and decide which one appeals to you. I prefer a decent sized snake, so would be looking at coastals, diamonds, or bredli, and then I'd choose bredli because they're gorgeous ;) realise that It'll be a couple years before a snake gets to an 'intimidating' size, and by that time you will have grown up with it enough that it won't bother you.
If smaller pythons appeal, you can't go past childrens (anything antaresia).

For a first snake, just be sure you buy one that is eating well, as it's a hassle a first time keeper shouldn't have to deal with. Try and find a breeder who'll talk it over with you, once you decide on species.
Enjoy :)

therat said:
Then my coastal though wouldnt bite me if i had a rat hanging out my mouth most placid snake i've ever had, and of course the spotted, have one aswell and just as quite.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Have you Tried it ? :lol:
I must say i am wondering why no one has suggested a murray ?
They are a fairly placid snake with a mid range adult size and really nice colours !

But then as therat says coastals are placid as well .
all of my coastals are dog tame the largest one around 7 feet long the worst she will do is hiss
I can kiss her on her nose without worry about her biting ,although unlike therat i would prefer not to have eaten a rat beforehand :lol:

RE: Re: RE: What type of snake should I get?

Most hatchling pythons are said to settle down well and get used to handling after a bit. Some (perhaps most) are snappy lil things to start with, understandable since there very small and defensive. After a month or two of regular handling there ok to be picked up without striking, mind you, every snake is different and like us they have bad hair days. Most importantly, you should get familiar and confident with handling yourself before allowing very little children to do so. Show them how to do it safely and gently can take time, but they'll get the hang of it. Golden rule with handling is lack of real restraint on your part, let them move where they want, support but not controll them, they will hold you.
Pythons are terrific pets and you and your kids can look forward to years of enjoyment with whichever snake you choose. Enjoy. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back