Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Re: RE: What type of snake should I get?

I believe any Australian python with the exception, maybe, of the Scrubbyand GTP, can be placid if obtained as a hatchy and given the right conditions and handled REGULARLY.

They are the best ever.

2004_0915Image0023.jpg

This is probably going to sound so ignorant, but I'm only just starting to investigate pythons!!! Which grows bigger? The diamond or the carpet python?

hmm, i'm not sure on comparrison though i know of a person who has a 16 or 17 ft carpet., like the second biggest or something.

impressive... can you handle them properly at that size?

Coastals are the largest of the carpet range ( The Diamond is a sub-species or variation of the carpets ) with some animals reaching 3.5 meters. Most carpets only reach two to two and a half meters, jungles being the smallest.
Scrubbies are confirmed to 5 meters and may reach 8. They are a slender snake and don't weigh much. They are not considered a beginners snake.
Olives reach about 4.5 meters and are a heavy and spectacular snake. The western sub-species Liasis olivaceus barroni is a much bigger snake with a TL over six meters. Olives are normally considered a placid snake.
The general rule with handling big snakes is one person for the first two meters and a person for every subsequent meter.

so I wouldn't be able to handle it properly when it gets bigger by myself if the python reaches over 3 metres?

sorry, another question... how long does it take before a python will get that sort of size? I'm guessing that it will take a while so the python and I will be able to get used to each other before he or she gets enormous!

depends on how much you feed it. It could take anywhere from 3 or more years for a snake to reach adult size. Not all snakes are garanteed to get that big anyway.

I too would have to say i have had to spend a lot of time with my bredli to get her as placid as she is now. Would have taken me 4-6 months to get her to a point where I can give her to someone for a cuddle and say that she most probably wont bite :)

I would have to reccomend that a diamond would be a good choice for a first snake although they do require UVB.

hmm, i'm not sure on comparrison though i know of a person who has a 16 or 17 ft carpet., like the second biggest or something.

hmmm, I'd like to see pics of that.
That would be the record I'm sure. This huge one is only 3.5m.
Giant%20Carpet%20Python.jpg

Magpie said:

hmmm, I'd like to see pics of that.
That would be the record I'm sure. This huge one is only 3.5m.
Giant%20Carpet%20Python.jpg

i don't have any pics, nor han't seen it though its sxereturn who has seen it and told me.

thanks AG - the UVB wouldn't be a problem, I was under the impression that all pythons liked to have that?

I would love a nice healthy happy big python, but also one that I will be able to personally bring out of its enclosure and not have to have an assistant, does this mean that the olive is out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back