*WHO IS YOUR TRUE HERP HERO*????? Who has been your biggest inspiration????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There has been 2 people who have always been a great help to me ever since I started keeping reptiles and are still today, that is Tim Mensforth and his better half Donna from URS. They have had a massive impact on the hobby that we know today.

John and George Cann (especially John) for allowing my mate and I to help out with the snake shows at La Perouse and inviting us into their homes on many occasions to view their collections and treating us like part of their families. Neville Burns for the good times we spent herping together as teenagers and times spent hanging out with his collection down the back shed in his folks place. Pete Rankin and Pete Harlow – a couple of really good mates during my uni years, with one particularly memorable field trip to western NSW. Eric Worrell for giving herpetology a profile in Australia and giving young herpers like myself access to brilliant published material and the animals he held at the ARP. Most important of all was my mum. She was not particularly fond of reptiles but she encouraged and supported my hobby none-the-less. Terry Reeves - herping buddy extraordinaire.

Blue

There are some great people mentioned in here.... No matter how big or small a part each person plays in the bigger picture of the herp word, if they have helped and encouraged just one person to expand their knowledge and skills then they are well worth the praise they get...

I am going to add someone who has probably generated more debate in the Australian herp scene in the last ten years than anyone else. This man created a tool that many use but few claim to appreciate yet they always end up using it regularly. They make alternatives and disparage it but they come back to it. I am talkig about APS and Slateman. Probably the most used and maligned herp tool in Australia, love it or hate it your probably reading this now. Jan, take a bow, you too Adam.

have to agree with you there... changed your mind about sharing your opinion eh? :)

I really dont have any herp heroes, but theres plenty of blokes that deserve a mention here, some I know and some I don't really know personally.. simon stone has always given me great advice and Id like to acknowledge that.. jamie stuart (pythoninfinite) for his contributions to the hobby over the years, tremain anderson for establishing the B&W jungles in the hobby I love so much and his platinum macs, bob withey, neville burns, gerry swan, rick shine, john weigal, graeme gow, peter krauss, glen shea, eric worrell, brian barnett, tim nias, hal cogger and the list goes on.. theres too many to name individually, so to all the people who have contributed to making the hobby something we all love and enjoy - thank you.

Last edited:
Graeme Gow RIP- always happy to help me or my students with anything herp.

and David Fleay- the last man in the universe to have a scar from a thylacine bite on his buttocks!!!!

Also a hero for Garth was a school mate of Garth's (wherever he is today) Brian Clarke. He had a brother Ron. They started the peoples church in Gymea.
His family introduced Garth to the world of reptiles. We both used to travel on the old rail motor into the Royal National Park hundreds of times when we were school kids searching for that elusive reptile.

We both used to travel on the old rail motor into the Royal National Park hundreds of times when we were school kids searching for that elusive reptile.
Wow! Now there is an unexpected trip down memory lane. I wonder how many here would struggle to remember the red rattlers, let alone “Change at Sutherland for all stations to Otford” via the rail motor. You really had to crank up the vocal cords if you wanted to have a conversation between stops. Waterfall was our most favoured hunting grounds, then the cliffs north of Otford, followed by Helensburgh with Kelly’s Creek. And all on a one shilling excursion ticket.

I hadn’t read many posts before I entered mine, but I did recall this before coming back and reading through the thread. As far as TV programs go, Vincent Seventy’s “Nature Walkabout” was an absolute must not miss and a real inspiration for me early on. There were others that followed, such as “In the Wild with Harry Butler” [and the overseas production of Marlon Perkin’s “Wild Kingdom”] that helped keep the appetite whetted.

In more recent years I had the privilege to work collaboratively with two exceptional gentlemen, who served to strengthen my rekindled interest and spur me on to greater things – Simon Ball and Jamie Stuart. They have written their own little bit of history, of which I am proud to have been a part.

Blue

Well it is not really a person but the "noPhoto" list on AROD has certainly inspired me to go out photographing both in the past and more recently.

Yes I read this topic Peter.
Thanks for comment. Most people know that my job is not to win popularity contest, just trying to stop few to spoil fun for many.
And thank you for teaching me how to handle elapids many years ago.
You always was and will be great benefit for our herp community. I am glad to know Peter Buckley, fair and honest bloke.

I am also proud to be able to learn lot from Simon Stone.

Yes, a big pat on the back to Jan and Adam for starting up this forum so long ago now. This would be one of the most popular websites. Even before i became a moderator I only ever really enjoyed this website as I always felt comfortable here. A lot of people knock it but that is just a typical 'tall poppy syndrome'. I think it is fantastic that others have started up as you can NEVER get enough knowledge and it is great for the hobby.
Just for the record, NO member has EVER been banned for starting up their own website. It would be more about their behaviour!

I am going to add someone who has probably generated more debate in the Australian herp scene in the last ten years than anyone else. This man created a tool that many use but few claim to appreciate yet they always end up using it regularly. They make alternatives and disparage it but they come back to it. I am talkig about APS and Slateman. Probably the most used and maligned herp tool in Australia, love it or hate it your probably reading this now. Jan, take a bow, you too Adam.

I'm sure there's many more but here's a few herpers I look up2 & have learnt something from: Russell Grant, Brian Barnett, Rob McCleod, Martin Fingland, Ian Jenkins, Dave Ryan.

We are so lucky to have in Australia many many great and knowledgeable herp enthusiasts.

This is a tough one - there have been so many who have been so incredibly generous with their time and expertise ... for me, it has been:
Simon Stone; Michael Cermak; David Kirshner; Neville Burns and Gavin from 'Scales and Tails' at Prospect. Plus, so many others I have met in buying and selling of snakes over the years.

I would have to say the 3 that i respect most in the herp world would be Brian Barnett,Roy Pails and Adam Elliot,A huge thanks for all the help over the years.keep up the great work.thanks again.

Ive seen his name a few times, but definitely have to give my shout-out to Simon Stone, aswell as his wife Diane, there blondie project is amazing, "pioneering" the albino darwin, aswell as answering alot of my questions to so, I dont think there are many people out there who care about snakes as much as them.

And of course the king of herps Steve Irwin.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are so many that inspired me.............. but above and beyond has to be Roy Pails, he had so much time and patience for me in my very early years.

The man who got me SERIOUSLY into reptiles many many years ago, Mark OShea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back