A hunt with a spear

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bamboo is fine for both buffalo and pigs, provided you have a decent weight on the end of it, like a metal shovel-nose tip and use a bondok (spear thrower). I've seen some pretty nasty looking ironwood tips as well.

I don't think they used spear grass (Sorghum sp), much too thin lol, but they did use the tall sedge (Phragmites sp) that grows along the rivers, for goose spears

cheers Saratoga

You wont see me stabbing a buff with a bamboo spear cobber.

In Wagiman counrty (South Daly) there are viens of quartz east of Dorisvale Station that produce long slender crystals, light enough to fit on a spear grass stem as described. (Sorghum sp)

Who's that "they" you speak of?

You guys may be right (doubt it)
What would make the buff angry?
Hunting them or just looking at them from a distance as they munch away.
Bit like snakes really, if you don't interfere with them they don't become angry.
arent they a pest?

Tiny bit off topic but a few years ago a fisherman speared a black marlin up near Bamaga from the shore
I always wondered if that has ever been done before anywhere else

Ive seen footage of Africans hunting buffalo with spears
Absolutely adrenalin time

They wait for the charge and spear through the breast plate with a spear grounded

They were matabele young men getting their tribal manhood rites
It was on utube or something similar about 5 years ago
One was killed but the other two were called men afterwards
Bit like the old hunting lions trick

They were matabele young men getting their tribal manhood rites
It was on utube or something similar about 5 years ago
One was killed but the other two were called men afterwards
Bit like the old hunting lions trick
thats why there were mainly women in the tribe

Witht the buff, in the Nt do you need permitss to take them or is it like pigs and if your allowed to hunt in that particular spot can you hunt them?

Witht the buff, in the Nt do you need permitss to take them or is it like pigs and if your allowed to hunt in that particular spot can you hunt them?

Depends where they are. Aboriginal land you require permission. Pastoral leases you need permission. Crown land pretty much go for it.

Having said that I don't understand the "thrill" of hunting a cow in a paddock, but that's just me.

If you like the idea of buffalo huntin, read some books by Tom Cole, "Hell west and crooked" and i forget the other one. Great stories of the old days. Never done wth a spear though chasing buff on horseback was obviously a rush for the old boys.

If you like the idea of buffalo huntin, read some books by Tom Cole, "Hell west and crooked" and i forget the other one. Great stories of the old days. Never done wth a spear though chasing buff on horseback was obviously a rush for the old boys.

Yea, Cole's books are a good read. Back in the day he was a renowned cuttle duffer and it was well known, but he was tolerated at most Stations because he told great stories and good entertaiment was hard to come by.

Back in the 70's and early 80's it was a weekly event to go and knock over a young killer and that was the meat supply for the week. We used to go down near the old Grove Hill pub and there were plenty to choose from. The BTEC program put an end to that.

Depends where they are. Aboriginal land you require permission. Pastoral leases you need permission. Crown land pretty much go for it.

Having said that I don't understand the "thrill" of hunting a cow in a paddock, but that's just me.

Not quite. Crown land you need a crown lands permit, which allows you to hunt all exotic species except for buffalo and pigs. If you want to hunt pigs you need to get a pig hunting permit (which costs about ten bucks) and i haven't found a buffalo permit yet but they are protected under commonwealth law. You would never get prosecuted for hunting them though.

Darlyn, pigs are much easier to hunt than buffalo. There is an awful lot more to it than shooting a cow in a paddock. They have really good eyes and ears and an even better sense of smell. A heard of buff made me when i turned the safety off my rifle at well over 70m while i was como'd and masked up. I've also had one wander up the back of my house which took 5 shots with a .308 to down. Pig on the other hand... I've started hunting them with my shot gun just to make it more difficult for me.

I've also heard stories from very reliable sources of aboriginal men hunting buffalo with an axe(not a stone axe, a european one) and dogs. The aim is to cut the Archilles tendon and render it unable to move.

Buffalo don't just stand in a paddock and wait to be shot; they may do this on the side of the Arnhem Hwy but in the bush they are very wary creatures and can be extremely dangerous. They are also a lot faster than cattle! Aboriginal people are much more wary of buffalo than most europeans, because they know what they are capable of.

I've also heard stories from very reliable sources of aboriginal men hunting buffalo with an axe(not a stone axe, a european one) and dogs. The aim is to cut the Archilles tendon and render it unable to move.

Buffalo don't just stand in a paddock and wait to be shot; they may do this on the side of the Arnhem Hwy but in the bush they are very wary creatures and can be extremely dangerous. They are also a lot faster than cattle! Aboriginal people are much more wary of buffalo than most europeans, because they know what they are capable of.

Very true. When the bull that wandered up the back of my house finally went down, i went trapsing up to bleed it like you would a cow you've just slaughtered. My local mate Henry said to me 'Benkwan oota! Webin dribe up, dis wan bin chiki wan.' That translates to 'You're mad! They are dangerous, we'll drive up.'

As for hunting with axes... I have a mate who is a T/O of the Cobourg area. He knifed a banteng with his dog and he says he has tipped a buffalo before.

The buffs I've seen in the bush are wary of your presence but quite content to keep on munching away
on their food. I guess since I'm not trying to kill them they don't have to be crafty or dangerous in order to survive.

Just wondering why Aboriginal people use an axe to hunt, wouldn't they just use a gun?

The buffs I've seen in the bush are wary of your presence but quite content to keep on munching away
on their food. I guess since I'm not trying to kill them they don't have to be crafty or dangerous in order to survive.

Just wondering why Aboriginal people use an axe to hunt, wouldn't they just use a gun?

Hunting like that is usually opportunistic. No one ever sets out to hunt a buffalo with an axe or just a knife, but if the opportunity presents itself sometimes it is worth having a crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back