A hunt with a spear

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a good story about how easy buff hunting is...

[video=youtube;vo5fUodIuFE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo5fUodIuFE[/video]

Hey fellas take a look at this guy!!!!! About Gene Morris - The Greatest Living Spear Hunter in the World

I hear he started spear hunting at 40 .....I was 40 last year.....Gordo I think you should give this a go too!

I think it's gonna happen lol. We should go on a spear hunting safari Guzzo.

I made a 44 gal drum oven to roast my little piggies on the weekend. It should go good enough to be a smithy's furnace. So now i need to make a knife and a spear... gonna have to start looking for those leafe springs soon i think.

I think it's gonna happen lol. We should go on a spear hunting safari Guzzo.

I made a 44 gal drum oven to roast my little piggies on the weekend. It should go good enough to be a smithy's furnace. So now i need to make a knife and a spear... gonna have to start looking for those leafe springs soon i think.

I bet the dump there would have a few old cars.....boat trailer springs are a good size too. A spear hunting safari sounds like a great idea

nice story mate, lol i bet it has recurred throughout history many a time as young adolescents from tribal peoples learned to hunt. i always picture those ice age people in europe hunting mammoths 10 000 years+ back, no doubt they had a dozen spears each and a huge advantage in numbers though. but yeah, props for the effort. however, the zoologist in me cringes a little thinking of the poor animals that would be at the receiving end of the spear, even though they are introduced pests i'd suggest sticking with your rifle for the sake of a quick death (quicker than a spear anyway). i don't want to preach too much but the pigs are here by our doing, not theirs, if you've got to kill them try not to make them suffer too much for our mistakes. but yeah, keep ridding our bush of the pests mate!

You get one lot of greenies saying 'how hard is it to walk up and shoot an animal? Try doing it without your gun tough guy!' and then you get the other bunch saying 'You should only use guns, it's th only humane way!' Bah, i do it for sport and meat as much as i do it for conservation, which ever way works without being cruel (my idea of cruel) i'll keep doing it.

Im not sure if this counts, i didnt even think of it when i saw the thread, but i have hunted rats with spears before. Probably not quite the same adrenaline rush as hunting pigs or buffalo, but a rat could get violent if it was cornered :lol: What would be the best way to make spear for small stuff like rats, toads? or slightly bigger small stuff like foxes and cats?

Funnily enough no they aren't a pest. They are actually protected under commonwealth law.

You only mean they arnt legally a pest i assume? Just because something isnt legally declared a pest doesnt mean it isnt a pest.

I'm sure Guzzo will attest to the violence capabilities of rats :D.
You could just use a good old pen gun with some modified sewing needles for them couldn't you?

As saximus said cris I am sure not one to underestimate the violent and terrible capabilities of a rat. I tremble in fear every time I open my rat cage to get out a feeder these days. I have a good airgun with a scope. It groups 5 shots in a 5 cent size hole at 25, meters. But you could always try a bow which is kinda like shooting small spears....very very effective too......or make a blow gun but i'm not sure if they are legal.

I have hunted them with a bow, both a real one and a toy one. The problem being i normally break or bend arrows and isnt practical to fire into the air. The toy bow only had an effective range of 1.5m and all the arrows are now broken it killed its fair share of rats. I have considered buying a kids bow to replace it, probably wont bother though.

A spear is good because it wont go to far, probably not break and much easier to control the force used. The ones i have made didnt fly straight (not that i was was intending them to at the time). This thread got me thinking a well made spear would be a fun way to hunt rats running around in trees and possibly even the occasional feral cat or fox that comes around.

Airguns are the most safe and practical thing but not legal in urban areas. Im pretty sure blowguns are illegal(most cool stuff is).

I admire your courage Guzzo ;) I enjoyed reading about your experience.

I admire your courage Guzzo ;) I enjoyed reading about your experience.

I always seem courageous until something goes wrong haha

I have hunted them with a bow, both a real one and a toy one. The problem being i normally break or bend arrows and isnt practical to fire into the air. The toy bow only had an effective range of 1.5m and all the arrows are now broken it killed its fair share of rats. I have considered buying a kids bow to replace it, probably wont bother though.

A spear is good because it wont go to far, probably not break and much easier to control the force used. The ones i have made didnt fly straight (not that i was was intending them to at the time). This thread got me thinking a well made spear would be a fun way to hunt rats running around in trees and possibly even the occasional feral cat or fox that comes around.

Airguns are the most safe and practical thing but not legal in urban areas. Im pretty sure blowguns are illegal(most cool stuff is).

how would one of thos aluminium fish spears go for rats cris or a slingshot??

I always seem courageous until something goes wrong haha

how would one of thos aluminium fish spears go for rats cris or a slingshot??

The aluminium ones are all weighted wrong. The back nearly always ends up over taking the front if you thrown them.

I've hunted Magpie Geese with a spear, but was unsuccessful.
Why hunt buffalo? 400kg of meat is a pretty good incentive.

When I was at school, I made a spear from stick. While waiting for the bus after school I threw the "spear" at a bunch of seagulls.
To my surprise, it pinned one of the birds to the ground through its back.
As the other kids crowded around around one of the girls called me a cruel bastit, another started to cry and it was going pear shaped in a hurry and I felt bad for the dying seagull, so I thought Id put it out of its misery . I picked it and after removeing the stick I attempted to stretch its neck. Unfortunatly, its head came off in my hand, more screams and crying and even the guys were calling me sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back