Advise please - Spotted python showing weird behaviour

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Mac

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been a bit of a lurker on here but haven't really said hi yet. So.. hi *waves*. I was hoping to make my first thread an introduction one but I've got some concerns about my lil guy. Any help or advice is appreciated.

I've had my spotted python for just over a year now and he's about 6 years old. I inherited him from my dad when he died last year. I've been feeding him a small or weaner rat (not sure which) about every two weeks excluding winter of course. When he's been fed there's a very obvious bulge when he's done so I'd say it's definitely big enough for him. I last fed him about a week and a half ago and in that time he's only pooped about the size of two peas (first weird behaviour). It's normally a lot larger. This is the first part that's weird. His temp gradient is 31C to 25C so he's temps should be good. I've confirmed these temps with a second thermometer. This should mean digestion shouldn't be an issue. Could he be constipated or has he just absorbed just about the whole rat?

The second weird behaviour is that he's been curled up in his hide since his feed and hasn't really come out that I've seen. With the temps up he'd normally be quite active especially at night. I've lifted the hide to check that he's ok in there and he reacts to my touch but otherwise just stays there.

Thirdly and lastly, I picked him up last night and he appeared to have a little bit of loose skin under the right side of his jaw (when looking at him front on) or it's some slight swelling. His jaw is sitting straight and together.

I've already booked him into see the vet at Brisbane Bird & Exotics but thought I'd ask for some opinions here in the mean time.

Any comments or opinion appreciated. No haters please. I'm happy to receive help/advice but don't want a grilling.

Thanks guys and girls.

TL;DR

1. Big, normal feed with lil poop
2. Has been curled up in hide for week and a half since the feed
3. Slight sagging of skin or slight swelling under right jaw (when looking at him front on)

I've included a pic of my lil guy.

Spot.jpg

Last edited:
Coming onto a shed , they often get a saggy look around the jaws and will normally hide away for a few days.

PS by the looks of that pic it is not a spotted python either , looks more childreni to me.

Gday Dickyknee,

I thought that but he shed about two weeks ago.

Edit:
The paperwork from the seller has him as an A.Maculosa (Spotted Python). I just figured he was very light on the pattern. You can't really see it but he does have faint spots.

Update:
I feel like a goose. You were spot on. He was coming into a shed. I came home from work a was greeted by a shed and a big poop.
Cheers for your help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back