Aggressive spotted python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacko2411

Reaction score
Hi all,
I got my spotted python when he was 2 months old and he is now 4 years old. I am becoming increasingly reluctant to hold him as he suddenly started becoming really aggressive and strikes at me whenever i try to get him out. This has been the case for nearly 6 months now. I always used to be able to put my hands in his enclosure and get him out no troubles, but if I do this now it almost always ends in me being bitten. Any ideas why this has started happening or how to settle him again.
Cheers

Have you not handled him for extensive periods of time? Does he settle down once he is out of the enclosure? It's only a spotty so, being bitten isn't really a big deal, i'd suggest handling him more regularily.

I get him out almost every day so he is used to being handled. Once he is out he settles right down and rarely strikes.

yeah so he's just cage protective, try feeding him in a feeding tub or the like and see if that works

I always feed my snakes in their enclosure so they do not become stressed from being handled after a feed and always use a hook to get them out to avoid the cage defensiveness. So far I have only been bitten a couple of times , once by my spotted who was extremely jumpy when being handled when smaller and once by a hungry woma who was also coming up to shed. Both my fault.

If he's being cage defensive, just use a hook to get him out, lots of pythons become defensive of their home.

Just make sure it isn't a feeding response, maybe he is still hungry if he's attempting to bite every time, what size mice/rats is he on?

Last edited:
If he's being cage defensive, just use a hook to get him out, lots of pythons become defensive of their home.

Just make sure it isn't a feeding response, maybe he is still hungry if he's attempting to bite every time, what size mice/rats is he on?

i agree cage protective is commen so long as he is settleing down once out of the tank there is nothing wrong just use a hook i do with all my snake i will hook them up i dont get them right out before touching them but they seem to relise whats going on as soon as the hook touches them i am yet to be bitten doing this

and yes make sure ur feeding them enough if its started randomly iy could be that ur snake is growing and u have not adjusted the food size

best of luck

Mine tend to get a bit more aggressive in warmer weather - maybe try on a nice cold day when he'd be a little bit slower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back