bali reptiles!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hellion

Not so new Member
Reaction score
okay so im off to bali on monday!!! been befor but i neva really got a chance to hunt for reptiles (not that i had to look hard there where geckos every where!) but this time round iv made time to go herping. thing is there is not much info on what they actually have there in the way of reptiles. i know there is a few species of cobra, kraits, odd clubrids and tons geckos but i really dont know for sure if any one has any knowlage of reptiles in bali i would love to here it . or any places to go looking remeber if i find them there will be photos!!!!! and i know how much we all love that!!

Cant help you but thought you might be interested in a couple of books from Mike Swan Herp Books.
Herpetalogical Bibleography of Indonesia $35.00

Field Guide to Amphibians and Reptiles of Bali $60.00

Sorry i cant be of more help

The Bali reptile park is great, you maybe able to organise some herping with someone there.
Make sure you pull this big sucker out of the water when your there.

Attachments

• Goulds.jpg
    Goulds.jpg
    45.5 KB
  • Goulds 2.jpg
    Goulds 2.jpg
    48.1 KB
wow!! he is freaking huge!! i cought a few sliders in the hotel gardens there once but im not even sure if ther are native to bali. and there where like mini cain toad looking frog/taods every where at night time. i saw some kraits but they told me i couldnt play with em because they where sacred. i was sad :(

unfortunatly(just kidding babe) i have to take the missus and a few mate who havent been to bali befor so there wanted to spend 5 god awful days in kuta. and then the next week and a half in sanure. but ill be nicking off to do my own thing fingers crossed if i know some good spots ill just head off there .

My fav spot in Bali is Ubud, plenty for the fam to do, and plenty of herps... As far as Cobras go the only one your likely to find would be Indo spitters, King's are very rare. Malayan Kraits are very common, even in bushy suburbia though nocturnal. Various Colubrids are very common, Vine Snakes, Racers, Bronzebacks (their version of a GTS)... take a walk up forested waterways, and if you dare, again at night.. Most of the really good herping is done on the western side of the island, here as well as Retics, you can also find Burmese... If you don't plan on leaving the burbs though, probably all you will see are Sun Skinks, Draco Dragons (look on the trunks of palm trees, look well as Dracos are tiny), and the Geckos, AHG's, Gehyra mutilata, Flat tailed Geckos and the big daddy, Gekko gecko, the Tokay. I have also found Cyrtodactylus fumosus in numbers around Ubud....

if u go to the reptile park or zoo theres lots of iguanas and turtles oh and a komodo dragon. theres also a guy thats usually around tanah lot who has a couple of huge reticulated pythons. ummmm a turtle island theres some really big turtles that u can swim with as well as a snake and iguana. also the bali zoo and safari park have reptiles. thats the touristy places u can go to see reptiles im not to sure bout just seeing em wild.

I have a couple of pics of those pythons at Tanah Lot from last time I was over there.
DSC01817.jpg

snake1.jpg

snake2.jpg
snake3.jpg

DSC01817.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back