Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alumba

Reaction score
Hey every one

When I left my home town I left my mum a pair of bearded dragons and 1 EWD I got a phone call the other day saying that she thinks that the water dragon is pregers I told her nah imposable but to tell the truth im not sure it is imposable which brings me to this question can bearded dragons breed with water dragons or is it genetically imposable which I think it is.

Yes, the are all housed together and they all get along fine they have been that way since hatchling I have been trying to get mum to ship the water dragon down but she is too attached to it.

as some of you may have seen in previous post is that I don’t believe in cross breeding so if it is possible (which I doubt) and she does lay the eggs will be getting destroyed and I will get the animals separated so this does not happen again

Thanks People

im not sure, but i dont think it's a good idea to breed EWD and Bearded dragons but i don't know if it's possible for them to breed.

Hopefully someone could help answer you question with certainty.

Hey alumba, this issue is something i have thought about since i introduced my beardie into my EWD enclosure (2 yearling EWD's and 1 juvenile Inland Beardie) all seem to be getting along great but your thought had crossed my mind.

Maybe she isn't gravid but instead has a growth (i know this is a horrible thing to say) but it seems like the only logical explanation short of your conclusion. If you are correct i'm sure that whatever hatches out of those eggs is gonna be some sort of super dragon :shock: (that is of course should you chose to let them hatch).

I reckon you should get a vet to check her out just to make sure nothing is wrong with her.

yea i agree with starkey also if it is pregnant i would let the eggs hatch if it was me i would love to see what they look like

i dont know about it either, its something ive been wondering about bearded dragons because i know someone who keeps a female central beardy with a male eastern beardy and i was wondering if anything would happen between 2 different speicies of bearded dragon?

As humans, I think we are all curious to see what would come even I but I can’t go against my beliefs like that.

I will try and get some pic but the thing is im in Adelaide and the dragons are in Darwin but I will get mum to send some pics (the dragon is probarly just fat lol knowing my mum) and for the groth, well I just hope it isn’t

i dont know about it either, its something ive been wondering about bearded dragons because i know someone who keeps a female central beardy with a male eastern beardy and i was wondering if anything would happen between 2 different speicies of bearded dragon?

I believe that is possible because they are in the same Genus pogona I believe it would be like crossing a diamond with a coastal because they are both Morelia, where as water dragons and bearded dragons aren’t in the same genus, so what would happen is that they where able to produce the offspring would be mules. That is my understanding of it anyway

So it would produce offspring that are deformed? if so, that's not good at all.

Not deformed as in 2 heads (which is still possible) but mules. Mules meaning they can’t reproduce offspring they are sterile.

That's not good, i think it would probably be in the best interests of the... ummm eggs i spose, if you destroyed them.

Regardless of my feelings on this matter, it saddens me to hear that you would destroy the eggs. Surely if they are fertile there is another way?

How can you just destroy them all? Are you not even curious to see how they would look? I'm NOT saying I condone hybridising, but IF it has already happened I'd want to at least see what a couple of them turn out like. Hopefully she's just well fed! :lol:

I'd get your mum to take it to the Vet and get it checked out otherwise you could end up losing it.

We just had to put down a Beardy female as she had pre-ovulation stasis (egg binding), meaning that she could never pass the eggs as they were all grouped together. Other problems that can also arise are peritonitis which if untreated will cause great harm to the animal.

A vet should be able to tell you for sure and if it is the above, surgery is the only outcome possible.

Bearded Dragons and Water Dargons can definately mate as I have seen it in pics posted on this site.

Eastern Water Dragons are (Physignathus Lesueurii and Bearded dragons ar either (Pagona Vitticeps or Pagona Barbata).

By the way there would be bo way I'd let the eggs go full term but that's JMHO.

See if you get any other answers from other people to get their opinion as well.

so shamous are you saying that the two sub families can produce offspring?

I am curious to see what they turn out like but as I said it goes against every thing i believe in I have to stay true to my self

Get more opinions

so shamous are you saying that the two sub families can produce offspring?

I am curious to see what they turn out like but as I said it goes against every thing i believe in I have to stay true to my self

I would be contacting a rep Vet or try and contact soemone here to get an opinion that is a more experienced on than my own.

You have said that you have to be true to yourself. I think that shows a great deal of respect for the animal and for herps in general. JMHO.

Yeah, I can understand it would be a hard decision. Letting them hatch would mean you have to either kill, keep or try to sell the hatchlings.
I don't think the two different species would have trouble breeding (not that I'd really have any idea) if the Americans can cross carpets and womas to make comas and other such silly sterile hybrid atrocities.

I havnt heard of that before, i reckon see what happens. If its possible i would guess that its already been done in the US? As rennie points out it is possible for cross genus hybrids to be created another eg is carpet cross water pythons.
If she does lay eggs and they hatch you might as well leave them alive IMO its not like they are going to cause any problems and they probably wont be fertile anyway.

One more question

Does your mum have an incubator? If she does not you won't have to worry at all.

Still get her to check it out as she could also have problems as I stated above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back