Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
*****rens python group (*****reni, stimsoni, maculosa) dont get bigger than 1.5 metres and look mostly like what channi posted.

carpets (including bredli, coastals, jungles etc) range from 1.5 up to 3 metres.

BHP (black head python) 2-3 metres

water python 2-3 metres (have reputaion as being snappy, probably undeserved).

any of these could make a good first snake, your best bet is to choose an animal you like the looks of and can adequately house, then research! good luck.

here are some pics of some of mine

bredli
Clipboard03-1.jpg

water python
15.jpg

The best bet for a first python would be to get an established animal, I would recommend getting an advanced juvie or a yearling snake that has a good history of feeding and shedding.

Oh wow, great photos!! The are great looking snakes. I love the colours in your water python.

great advise everyone. Thanks!!

the waters are beautiful snakes, they can look plain compared to some of the carpets etc, but when the light hits them on the right angle.....:D:D

16.jpg

waterpython2.jpg

Water pythons are great! Usually they're really snappy as hatchys but it doesn't actually hurt, and they calm down with regular handling. Maybe if you go to the gallery section of this site and look at the different species in that (they're in sections) you'll get a good idea too. All of the pythons have their own appeal :D I'm going to upload some of my jungle python and murray darlings shortly me-thinks...

The colours really are amazing!!

Clairebear, i will have a look now at the gallery!! Still learning about the diferent sections of this site.
That would be great if you could send some photos through of yours.

the one in the middle is around 20 mths the other two are about 12-14 mths old

Ok, so much for me to think about now, it is great to see all of these photos of everyones snakes, it really makes me confused, but in a good why. Need to do lots of research!!!

Bruizer, here's my Diamond as a baby. About 3 months old. The last one is at about 14 months. She get's more and more yellow every shed. She should shed again in the next day or two so she'll be looking pretty good then!

She's our one and only snake at the moment and I can totally recommend them.

She is placid whether inside her cage or out. We have never fed her in her cage, we always take her out and put her in a big click clack for feeds. I think this makes them very calm to handle as they quickly learn that a hand coming into the cage doesn't mean food. It may not be practical for people with lots of snakes but for us it's no drama.

I also think bhp's would be a top first snake. With the price coming down so much I think they'll be recommended more and more for first timers.

Either way, get something you like and be aware that you'll most likely and more down the track!!

Attachments

• daisy crop.jpg
    daisy crop.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 62
  • House 007.jpg
    House 007.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 59
  • June2007 022.jpg
    June2007 022.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 67
Also just a tip: buy local for your first snake. find a breeder who you can talk to in person, possibly see how they set up their hatchies/snakes in general etc. i believe that was the best thing i did, being able to see set ups and ask questions.

Also make sure what your getting you will have the room for it once it is fully grown, as you can imagine a 2-3 metre python will need a decent size enclosure =P.

First Snake

I would avoid any of the cildren pythons as a first snake. You must also remember every snake has its own personality. I have a beautiful Murray Darling that has the best nature. I got a spotted as a first snake and find it a little snappy. My boy has been bitten a couple of times.

Get one you like the look of I reckon. Just make sure it has no mites etc.

Thanks

Rocky

The most affordable, easy to look aftyer, easy to find, easy to handle snake is a Murray/darling Carpet Python, it was my first, and he's a ripper!

here is my diamond "monty".. he is pretty aggressive towards others other than me.. not my frends favourite snake lol.. but i dont think a diamond is a good first snake as they are fairly hard to look after re temps.. with a BHP nothing can go wrong-- good feeders (once started), grow nice and big, placid and grow fast..

P1010301.jpg
View attachment 37038

I've had worse bites from our turtles than from any of our pythons, just to keep things in perspective for you. If you find a local breeder of any of the pythons you like the look of you can go around and see them for yourself and choose the one you like.

Stimmies are great, mines never taken a shot at me :p Other then that a coastal would be a great beginner snake, cheap too :)

pc220001pj1.jpg

I would avoid any of the cildren pythons as a first snake. You must also remember every snake has its own personality. I have a beautiful Murray Darling that has the best nature. I got a spotted as a first snake and find it a little snappy. My boy has been bitten a couple of times.

Get one you like the look of I reckon. Just make sure it has no mites etc.

Thanks

Rocky

Don't you think you're kinda contradicting yourself? Advising someone not to get any of the *****rens group because your spotted is a bit snappy but then in the same breath say every snake has a different personality?

All snakes will be snappy if you do not give them proper regular handling anyway. Best is to start with hatchy cause they don't even hurt, but i have a spotted and he has only bitten me twice and both times it was MY OWN FAULT.. He's extremely placid otherwise with no troubles at all i couldn't have asked for a better snake.

When they bite do they brake the skin?? I have been biten by old of my old turtles and it did nothing, was more of a fright because of the sound of there jaw, that was my fault he bite me thought it was food.

Also for 2-3 metre Python what size tank would be recommented? 4ft??

Yeah they do brake the skin, but it's only like a comple punture wounds from the fangs depending on how big the snake is, but it doesn't hurt much, it's kind of like you said with the turtles, it's more of a fright because of how quick it happens.
Usually the rule for snakes is that the tank is susposed to be about 1/3 of their length, or 2/3, sorry I don't remember that rule lol But it really depends on the type of snake, like with my diamonds, when they are full length they'll be put into stand enclosures so they can climb. What type of snake are you thinking of getting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back