Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
a bite from that size snake isn't very painful, it just seems to produce a bit of blood.
in that picture, the snake is biting as a feeding response. it thinks snow's hand is food, thats why it is holding tightly (constricting).
most bites from a defensive hatchie will involve a fast strike, then quickly let go.

Bruiser, PJ64 will be right about the attitude of different sp. judging from all the talk on this site it wouldnt be hard to find an aggressive and friendly example of any species.

will.i.am, open the pics in "paint" then go to "save as".
at the bottom of the window should be a box with file type in it, save as a jpeg.

I think i need to get over that little fear i have of snakes. I have this thought in my head that snake bite must hurt as they inject poison into you. I am working on getting over that one!!

Snake that size doesn't hurt at all... I just let him go until he let go.. prolly about 20mins, but he was hungry. That was a feeding bite, not an aggresion bite. You will have snappy hatchies in every species, but look how big you are compared to them, it's their only defense until they learn your not going to eat them. Some snakes are just snappy from not being fed enough.

what scared me more when i started out was the potential power of a large python.
i seriously considered buying an adult water python as my first, but when he held on to my neck the sheer strength scared me a little. so i instead bought a young bredli. in that time i have gotten very comfortable with larger snakes and it dosn't bother me at all anymore.

Thank you so much for telling me that Bredli84!!! That helps to know other people have had the fear and have gotten over it. I would prefer to get a young snake to get it used to me. How big is a baby snake normally??

that depends on the species, my water was the only one i had as a hatchie. he was about 40cm long and pretty skinny.
i think the carpets will be a little smaller and childrens type pythons will be a lot smaller.
my female bredli i bought as a 6month old and she was about 2ft/60cm long.

Ive got a little coastal boy, and couldnt be happier with him as a first snake. Was a little snappy when I got him but he's calmed down alot now, and theres a huge range of colours and patterns that you can find them in :D

P1020770.jpg

My first python was a sub-adult Port Diamond. She wasn't suppose to be 5ft, I was told over the phone she was 2ft - but I love her to bits. Has never bitten and I don't think she knows how to.

Here's Opals and Bundy

Attachments

• Opals and Bundy.JPG
    Opals and Bundy.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 60
If you have any idea about snakes, you would advise murray/darlings for beginners.....

If you have any idea about snakes, you would advise murray/darlings for beginners.....

So your saying people that advised other species have no clue about reptiles. Thats great! Gotta love APS ey? I'd put the flame suit on...

Last edited:
I have 4 different kinds of python , most of them bought as youngsters & the Bredli is the only one
that's never bitten , ever .
Though having said that , even when the others did bite I didn't know it untill I looked down to notice a couple of little pin-pricks of blood . It just feels like they give you a little nudge.
There's really nothing to worry about , a budgie hurts much more.

As Peter has already suggested the best snake for beginners is the one they want to have. But I have 4 port diamonds and have handled inland carpets. Mine have never bitten, the inlands I've handled have bitten and latched onto my arm. So through my personal experience I would vote the intergrade over the inlands. But all the same I still love the murrays and the gammons carpets and both are on my shopping list.

It's really up to you what you get, the reality is you can get snappy snakes in EVERY species. I personally think every python species has the potential to be a good first snake. It's not like MDs don't bite so you should get one, thats far from it with every species. People are going to want you to buy what they have/say just cause they said so. "Oh my murry darling doesn't bite, get one!" Thats just how it is with this site. Get what you like, weather it be looks or you choose from some hatchies that you have a chance to handle. But think about everything, what you have room for, what you'd feel comfortable with when it's adult size and so forth.

Thank you everyone for all of you great advise!!

Snow1369 you are spot on, I think i will be deciding on what the snake looks like, i have a couple of ideas now!!

Thanks

heres my beautiful Loki (bredli), just cos everyone else got to show off their kiddies. :)

Last edited:
thanks Bruizer, i love Loki to bits, hes such a sweetie. :)

my first was a spotted and she is the best they are cheap and dont grow very long

We went for the Bredli as our 1st snake. We loved the colour and patterns, even tho he was a bit snappy. We liked him so much that we bought a second Bredli! And the bite from a youngster is more mental than physical. No pain just :shock::shock::shock:!!! Choose one you like the look of and then if it fits your price and conditions, go for it. Good luck, and post some pics when you do get him/her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back