Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, usually with the diamonds, you don't need an upright enclosure, they do like it more but you don't need it, if you get a diamond just make sure it has branches to climb. They are usually kept in about 6ft long enclosures.
I've never owned water pythons before, but I found this link about what length enclosures they should be in
http://ezinearticles.com/?Australian-Water-Python-Care-(Katrinus-Fuscus)&id=262870
And here's a link for diamonds
http://sthcoastherpsociety.bizland.com/diamondpaper.chtml

I would avoid any of the cildren pythons as a first snake.....

I got a spotted as a first snake and find it a little snappy. My boy has been bitten a couple of times.

Rocky

Sorry to here that your boy has been bitten, but I disagree, I have a Stimons and she is pretty good. I think it all comes down to undserstanding the snake's mood and taking care. It is pretty obvious when a snake is upset and is likely to strike.

When ever I notice this behaviour I use the hook to pick her up and/or make sure I pick her up gently from behind. I haven't been bitten yet, not that she hasn't tried, even through the glass. Once she is being handled she settles and is not a problem, not that I still don't take care to monitor her mood nad put her back if she looks like getting stressed.

My daughter now wants to get a bigger snake she can hang around her neck.

Ultimately it comes down to what you can afford, for both the snake and the appropriate enclosure and how big you want your snake. I live in a unit so a small one seemed ideal.

Good luck.
Rick

Murray Darling or Bredli would make a great first snake. They are both quite placid and both are good feeders.

Just rememer that any hatchling can be snappy no matter what the species. Its no big deal, you'll get used to it pretty quickly and the initial apprehension (if any) will go away before they get big.

you can keep water pythons in 4ft x 2ft x 2ft tanks there awesome i just got a pair and they are really calm iv got an eastern beardie thats more likely to bite than my waters lol they grow very quickly easly reaching 5ft in there first year if conditions are right. iv seen bredli for around 300 -350 not overly expensive but hypos sell for more

between about $250-$400 as a hatchie.
hatchies will be quite snappy (most are). an adult bredli would need a reasonable sized enclosure, eg 4ft long 3high and 2ft wide is fine. the height gives some room for branches as they like to climb. my big boy is in a
5X2X2 enclosure and seems reasonably happy.
a water python or MD (murray darling/ inland python) should be fine in a 4X2X2.

here is a pics so you get an idea of size, this is my 7.5ft male bredli in his 5X2X2 enclosure.
123.jpg

Hey Bruizer. INterestingly, this thread comes up about 82 times a year and it always amazes me to hear the answers that get posted. Mate, you like th elook of Bredli so get one fo them unless it is out of your price range. I know peoplke that own all of th especies that you have mentioned above and have also been recommend due to them being placid. All I can say is that there are ballistic snakes of every species that has been recommended above. I once read an article on Reptiels Australia Magazine that rated all the common pythons in terms of nature, feeding, housing etc. The Murray Darling was the winner. That said, I have two Murray Darlings (well sorta) from the person who wrote the article. Although the article said that they are placid these things are crazy and bite me all the time. They are approaching 5 feet in length and still aren't letting up. People who own one or two snakes of a particular species probably aren't that qualified to talk about the general nature fo that species. Just like a person who owns a Pit Bull that doesn't bite.

So, from my personal point of view. Research the snakes that you like the look of and that fit into your budget. If they are too big for your house then that is also something you need to consider but basically any morelia (carpet) species can be housed in a 1200x1200x600 enclosure as an adult.

Oh, and just one thing for Diamonds that may sway your decision. They are native to Sydney and best kept (from about two years of age) in an aviary outside. And the aviary need not be that big.

And also, find out about the Hawkesbury Herp Society and go along to their next meeting. I know of at least one Bredli breeder who should be there. Talk to those people.

And good luck with whatever you choose.

Thanks Peter, This is great advise you have given me. I will try and get a long to one of the Hawkesbury Herp Meetings. I think it would also help to speak to people face to face who haver experience with snakes.

I will keep you updated

Bredli84 - What a beautiful snake, great enclosure.

Thank you so much for posting the photo for me, it gives me an idea of the enclosure.

I would prefer to have a snake that can be kept inside all of the time. I guess something else for us to think about!!

My children's was lovely but snappy and yet another we had was very placid. My spotteds are very placid never bitten yet. I cant say for my coastal yet, he is still settling in.

Heres a few pics.... The pic of the childreni is nothing special but shows you the colours.

Childreni
tn_100_5023.jpg

tn_100_4602.jpg

tn_100_3697.jpg

Carpet (darwin)
tn_100_4644.jpg

tn_100_4899.jpg

Water Python (belly)
tn_100_4207.jpg

tn_100_4164.jpg

tn_100_4217.jpg

My faves are Childreni and Water Pythons come close. But if you hvae the money... womas are meant to be great :p

I have a diamond and couldnt be happier but like peter said you would need to own alot of snakes to see which isnt snappy but i still think my diamond isn't snappy and he was $350 when we got him and the good thing is diamonds are very well suited to the climate in sydney so they are easier to keep in this climate

Heres a couple of pics of my diamond

The water python has such great colours!!

The photo of the snake biting you looks a little painful!!!

Will.i.am - See how you go with the photos, thanks for your advise

I've got a Bredli (He's in my Avatar ) I reckon Bredlis are the best begginers snake :D
attachment.php

Attachments

• Pretzel Piccies 262.jpg
    Pretzel Piccies 262.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 52
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back