Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that chick doesn't know a thing! I have only handled a Jungle and I could catch that better than she did...

And she's a professional! the only 'training' I have had is watching my brother catch and handle copperheads and tigers.

I knew this thread would happen.....
Considering it was her first time catching a venomous snake, I think she did pretty well. I would like to see someone else do a better job on their first attempt, especially in front of a camera.
It's easy to sit back and criticise from beind a computer screen.

In all fairness to her, simply being a volunteer for a wildlife rescue service doesn't make someone a 'professional', and keep in mind, they also said it was her first live snake rescue or words to that effect. Add to that she had a tonne of people and TV cameras around her. Also, my impression is with one of the rescue services courses, you don't even practice on a live snake at the course, so it may well have been her first dealings with a live one. Yes, she wasn't perfect, but give her a break, she was petrified!

Greebo I know what you are saying, but I think she didn't do a very good job, I don't know much about it but I think she should have pinned it's head down, she tried to hook it a few times but she kept dropping it which could have aggravated the snake putting her in a dangerous position, I thought that a trained professional would have realized that if you aggravate a snake don't keep aggravating it just go for the most risk free option.

And in the end she basically just scooped it up with the bag, immediately after dropping again, which seemed to be very risky, she should have stood back for a few seconds to calm her nerves and then go in with a clear head.

Just my opinion.

You are right, she could of done a better job. She only had a hook and a bag to work with instead of the right equipment.
In the end, a woman that looked a bit like my mum mananged to bag the snake while the buff male life surfers stood around and watched.
Good on her I say.

As long as she wasn't bitten and the snake wasn''t harmed i'd say she did well

I don't beleive in going straight in and pinning their heads down. That would only make the snake more defensive, think about it what would you do if someone gabbed you by the head or around the throat. I have caught wild snakes before, but the only part i ever had to touch was their tail... the safe end lol.

I knew this thread would happen.....
Considering it was her first time catching a venomous snake, I think she did pretty well. I would like to see someone else do a better job on their first attempt, especially in front of a camera.
It's easy to sit back and criticise from beind a computer screen.

well said greebo

Hook and a bag is all I use to catch browns. I believe it is safe if you know what you're doing, but you also need confidence, of which she was severely lacking. We all have to start somewhere, and confidence comes with good training and experience.

You would think they would send someone who knew what they were doing to a highly populated / crowded area like Bondi Beach. She tried to grab it by the tail at one stage, it wasn't good for it to be on TV!

I am not saying I am in anyway an expert, I have only a couple of years experience. Just my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back