Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looked at the pic, the baggy shirt and leaning over looks like I have no boobs!

That argument 'I'd like to see you do better' is pretty lame. She wasn't forced to catch the snake, that was her choice and she held herself out to be a snake catcher and she was hopeless, inadequate and an embarrasment for others in the industry. If the cameras made her nervous, she shouldn't be in that job, she should have been concentrating on the task at hand.

By the way, I could have and have done a much better job of catching a wild RBBS.
What was hopeless and inadequate about it?? She may have been a little bumbly and nervous but she persevered, didn't back down, got the job done and no one was hurt or bitten. In my books that is a job well done, regardless of how she looked doing it. From what i saw she never took her eyes of the snake, told everyone to clear back to a safe distance and stayed committed to the rescue.....that show's concentration to the task at hand does it not??

And what do you mean if the cameras made her nervous she shouldn't be in the job??? Last time i checked, wildlife volunteers weren't called out to catch angry venomous snakes on national television in the wild on their very first attempt, surrounded by a crowd.

Get over yourself buddy. Your post was a hopeless, inadequate and an embarrasment for over herp catchers. You may as well have written......

"Blah blah blah i'm so good, i have too much testosterone flowing through me, WEEEEEEE"

....it would have been just as valid.

*shakes head in disbelief*

couple of points,
This was indeed Jodies first rescue. I talked her into doing it as I was at home without a car at the time.
Dont believe what bystanders have to say. It was confirmed over the phone initially that it was a red belly.
Nobody pins.
I make no judgement on her performance as I haven't seen the show but I arrived later and she was sheeit scared. In the training live snakes were used. These included rbbs, browns, tigers and others.
I make no comment on her performance at the training sessions as they are not open to public scrutiny.
Most of the comments here appear to be well within the normal range being based on bravado and ignorance.
The question really is, why did a rescuer with no real practical experience go into the field to do a high profile rescue?
Because the caller was very pointed and made it clear that a group of people were tormenting the snake and it was obvious that either the snake or somebody would get hurt. I thought Jodie would be a better proposition than no action at all. She took her time, she controlled the situation and in the end got a result.

Jozz, a tip, get rid of the round hoop, get a flat one. The round hoop allows the snake to get under your bag.

Jozz, a tip, get rid of the round hoop, get a flat one. The round hoop allows the snake to get under your bag.
Definately good advice. Some of the hoops on the course i did where round and when a snake whips around quick, no matter how planted the catchers had the bag, 8 out of 10 times the snake went under the bag and straight for their feet.

I AM!!! Can't you see the pigtails?! I'm just not a "little girl" :D Bit of a "tomboy" how I dress. NOT GAY (not that there's anything wrong with that)

Just looked at the pic, the baggy shirt and leaning over looks like I have no boobs!

Yeah sorry.. Can't see any boobies or pigtails. :S And mind you I did just ever so breifly look at that photo...I've had three beers AND I'm tired. So really mistake expected from me. :p

Hooray for tomboys! *hi fives* I HATE skirts and heels.

How many people does it take to catch a snake?

Answer: 10......1 herper to catch the snake and 9 wannabes to stand around and say " I could of done that better."

How many people does it take to catch a snake?

Answer: 10......1 herper to catch the snake and 9 wannabes to stand around and say " I could of done that better."

LOL!!!!!

:p

Hix

They should have contacted APS. It seems that there are bucketloads of seasoned handlers and catchers here. The day would have been saved and there would have been praise nation wide. ............tho I do believe that there would have been a few notes from 'mummy' excusing their 'little uns' from school while they demonstrated their prowess and expertese.

I love it how things become a big %$@& comp around here. Get over yourselves. Yeah she was bumbly and nervous. The job got done in the end didn't it!!!!

I'd prefere to see someone act with a little caution over arrogant bravado everytime.

If you're all so bloody fantastic I'm sure we'll hear about you soon:lol:

Couldnt agree more with Lucas and Greebo.....finally some inteligent comments on this site......
Yipee there is hope yet.....lol

The main point you guys have all missed - how cool to see this snake in such a built up (and suburban trendy!) location!

It has probably put a few play -group mums & local toy poodle owners who frequent this beach & surronding coastal walk off their cappuchinos & lattes!

I live just around the corner - and thought it amazing to see a large bluey wandering on the footpath - let alone a black snake. Normally all we see is 4cm garden skinks!

Thanks for the advise, I will look at that, although I haven't had a problem yet. I also need some tongs - can anyone recommend the best ones to get?

Thanks for the advise, I will look at that, although I haven't had a problem yet. I also need some tongs - can anyone recommend the best ones to get?
Most of the tongs should be ok and i've found opinions vary widely on this. I'd recommend getting a pair with fairly wide jaws(better grip, less chance of injury) and ones that are rubber coated(reduce injury).

With all that said i personally don't like using them. It's very hard to control the amount of pressure your are placing on the snake as most of them don't give much feeling feedback. It's too easy for most people to squeeze to hard, especially on smaller, or juvenile specimens.

I also find them alittle clumsy to use because you have to keep hold of the handle at all times. With all that said though they can come in very handy for certain situations and would be a useful addition to your catching kit.

Places like herp asylum have a nice one and herp trader has one that looks good that is a folding one, so it doesn't take up too much space when no in use. Check them out online....i can't speak for the quality of the folding ones but i know the ones that herp asylum sell are pretty good quality, i don't own one but have played around with them in the past. Aim for one that is alloy with a SS Cable.

Sorry Rep61 I dont think its cool to see that snake in such a built up area. The threats in such an area are massive, traffic, dogs, cats ignorant humans with shovels or what ever else......
Just to mention a few......think about it.....

What was hopeless and inadequate about it?? She may have been a little bumbly and nervous but she persevered, didn't back down, got the job done and no one was hurt or bitten. In my books that is a job well done, regardless of how she looked doing it. From what i saw she never took her eyes of the snake, told everyone to clear back to a safe distance and stayed committed to the rescue.....that show's concentration to the task at hand does it not??

And what do you mean if the cameras made her nervous she shouldn't be in the job??? Last time i checked, wildlife volunteers weren't called out to catch angry venomous snakes on national television in the wild on their very first attempt, surrounded by a crowd.

Get over yourself buddy. Your post was a hopeless, inadequate and an embarrasment for over herp catchers. You may as well have written......

"Blah blah blah i'm so good, i have too much testosterone flowing through me, WEEEEEEE"

....it would have been just as valid.

*shakes head in disbelief*

It is easier to get a bite in here than it is to be an incompetent snake catcher. How dare I go against the flow of this thread, and how dare I give a counter argument.

Everything was inadeqaute, it was sheer luck that she didn't get bitten. My point about cameras and making her nervous, I didn't say the cameras made her nervous, I was responding to another person's point along those lines, and if that was the case with her, it shouldn't have been because she should have been concentrating on the job. You missed my point entirely, though that doesn't surprise me.

Get over myself??? Yeah, good call Sherminator, that value adds to your argument, definitely.:rolleyes:

"Your post was a hopeless, inadequate and an embarassment for over herp catchers."

You are an embarassment to yourself with lines like that, you can't even string a sentence together.

Come back when you can construct a sentence properly and put forth a valid argument .

What a joke......:lol:

Most of the tongs should be ok and i've found opinions vary widely on this. I'd recommend getting a pair with fairly wide jaws(better grip, less chance of injury) and ones that are rubber coated(reduce injury).

With all that said i personally don't like using them. It's very hard to control the amount of pressure your are placing on the snake as most of them don't give much feeling feedback. It's too easy for most people to squeeze to hard, especially on smaller, or juvenile specimens.

I also find them alittle clumsy to use because you have to keep hold of the handle at all times. With all that said though they can come in very handy for certain situations and would be a useful addition to your catching kit.

Places like herp asylum have a nice one and herp trader has one that looks good that is a folding one, so it doesn't take up too much space when no in use. Check them out online....i can't speak for the quality of the folding ones but i know the ones that herp asylum sell are pretty good quality, i don't own one but have played around with them in the past. Aim for one that is alloy with a SS Cable.

Cheers for that. I agree they are probably more useful in some situations than others. I was asking on peoples opinions as they are pretty expensive aren't they? I will have a look anyway. :D :D :D

Cheers for that. I agree they are probably more useful in some situations than others. I was asking on peoples opinions as they are pretty expensive aren't they? I will have a look anyway. :D :D :D
expect to pay somewhere in the vincinity of $45-$75.

It is easier to get a bite in here than it is to be an incompetent snake catcher. How dare I go against the flow of this thread, and how dare I give a counter argument.

Everything was inadeqaute, it was sheer luck that she didn't get bitten. My point about cameras and making her nervous, I didn't say the cameras made her nervous, I was responding to another person's point along those lines, and if that was the case with her, it shouldn't have been because she should have been concentrating on the job. You missed my point entirely, though that doesn't surprise me.

Get over myself??? Yeah, good call Sherminator, that value adds to your argument, definitely.:rolleyes:

"Your post was a hopeless, inadequate and an embarassment for over herp catchers."

You are an embarassment to yourself with lines like that, you can't even string a sentence together.

Come back when you can construct a sentence properly and put forth a valid argument .

What a joke......:lol:

If your going to have a go at peoples grammar you should spell check your own posts first :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back