Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morelialover

Reaction score
hey guys, im a bit confused, whats the deal with Bredli's and Inland carpet pythons, ARE they the same Python? or not?

OR is it the SAME python but diffrent geographical Area (pretty sure thats the right word lol)

Bredli's also knows as centralians or central carpets what ever are different to indland carpets (murray darling) different species

with a little research (google) you can easily find that they're different. inland carpet pythons are murray darlings. says so on google. and they look really different. even you could tell they're different snakes solely from the pictures.

G'day Morelialover,

They are two totally different special of Morelia. Centralian Carpet Pythons (Morelia bredli) are confined to within a few hundred kilometres of Alice Springs. Inland Carpet Pythons are just a variation of the one species of Carpet Python (Morelia spilota variegata) that occurs through most of QLD, NSW, northern Victoria, some of SA and the north of NT and WA. They are not regarded as another species/subspecies.

Cheers

Jonno from ERD

hey mate, cheers for your instructive reply, helped heaps :) with a lil extra knowledge thrown in, i like it, cheers

im just struggling to comprehend how you managed to come to the conclusion that they are possibly the same animal. They are both from the morelia family, but other than that they are as different as any other of the morelia pythons. Even looking at a picture of each snake would indicate that they are completely different. I would recommend the old trusty friend called "Google" before posting a simple question. I realize that all snakes have common and proper names, but if they were the same snake, that would be sold as such, not as completely different snakes. Just simple logic really

Scotty,

What might seem like a silly question to you, is a completely legitimate question for others. These forums are for learning...just because you have an understanding of something, doesn't mean everyone will. Take it easy on the newcomers, and offer advice rather than criticism. They might seem like basic questions, but I'd rather have someone admit they are still in the basic questions stage, rather than become yet another "Armchair Expert" that frequent these sites.

Play nice!

seem slike scotty needs a chill pill and maybe a friend. calm down dude, you obviously have a problem, and what id say is if you do have a problem then dont read the post/dont reply to the post, ignore it please.

Jonno, thankyou, said well.

i am no expert, thats why i ask, obviously i couldnt figure it out, and 'Google it' is like my saying, and yes i did, but i couldnt be sure, as google (images and wiki alike) are somtimes inaccurate, because people who load pics on the internet are somtime not acccurate.

and i noticed that and knew about it, but when i go to sale sites and just normal pictures alot of people have labeled as such 'Bredli Inland Carpet Python' or 'Bredli/Inland Carpet Python' etc

and yes i know most the morelia species of by heart and by looks and can state there region of australia they coem from, but im still no expert, especailly when i see information contradicted all over the internet you cant blame me for coming to the experts (such as yourself) for confirmation, if i were u as me glad people are asking me and not trusting 'google' 'wiki' knowing how innacurate they can be (google images picture titles as example).

Last edited by a moderator:
pretty sure my last post did nothing but say here is the info to answer the question, if you research you will find out lots of information on both this question and many more and i wish more people did research, if i am missing the part where i pick on you, feel free to enlighten me. But keep this in mind, if you knew all the species of morelia "off by heart", that means you should have known they were different, and this question would never have been asked. And when you see something like "Bredli/inland carpet python" that is called a cross breed.

Because from where i stand, after my first post which was a little over the top, my following one has been trying to help you without trying to sound condescending and insulting.

turns up this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morelia_(genus) and clearly outlines all the species under Morelia and shows that there is Morelia Bredli as its own species (under debate) and then there is Morelia Spilota, which has 6 subspecies, one of which being the Inland Carpet Python.
G'day Scotty,

For future reference, make sure you italicize the entire scientific name, and only capitalize the generic name. For example, Morelia bredli.

Unfortunately, your Wikipedia link doesn't mention Steve Donnellan's 2003 presentation at the Australian Society of Herpetologists meeting, where all of the subspecies of Morelia spilota were basically found to be null and void genetically. They are just the one highly variable species.

APS is a very useful tool for those who are learning. Whilst the information may be available elsewhere, the opportunity for it to be explained in a fashion that those seeking the information can understand is not - this is where APS shines.

So can we play nice yet?

I went to a local zoo recently and had to explain to them that the picture titled, Stimson python with the relevant species information was actually a picture of M. spilota, imbricata. I picked it at first glance but it goes to show how easy it is for people to get it wrong even in a place where you would expect better. good on ya for asking the question.

Jonno how do I, italicize species names I can't find a button on my keyboard that does it , maybe I'll just google it LOL

yeah i was aware of this, and even though for genetic purposes they are close enough matches to be all the same species, for keeping them as pets and breeding and selling them, this is largely irrelevant. This is because they have been considered different for so long that people are more than happy to keep with the old way of naming them and as discussed in other thread, many are opposed to hybrids. So even though they are technically the same snakes, people much prefer to act as if they are entirely different and keep them separate, so it is easier to just talk as if they are, just to humor the masses :)

Unfortunately, your Wikipedia link doesn't mention Steve Donnellan's 2003 presentation at the Australian Society of Herpetologists meeting, where all of the subspecies of Morelia spilota were basically found to be null and void genetically. They are just the one highly variable species.

Did this include M spilota imbricata

well jonno puts it well and i dont think any more needs to be said, i dont wanto continue this kinda conversation on APS Forum.

Did this include M spilota imbricata

G'day mate,

From memory, the two geographically isolated Carpet Pythons are considered full species (Morelia bredli and Morelia imbricata). Diamond Pythons (Morelia spilota spilota) are the only other subspecies of Morelia spilota, with the other being the rest of them (Jungles, MD's, Coastal's, Northerns etc - as Morelia spilota variegata).

Yeah, I think I must have recently read the same paper as they were split by DNA

that sounds about right but then there other research that shows genetically Diamond pythons and Jungles are as similar as the different locales of Jungles or Coastals. Essentially saying that they are the same snake, just a different location. So in reality, Morelia bredli and Morelia imbricata are the only two genetically separate species, and all the other sub species are so similar that their only difference is the location and how that has effected growth/patterning. Its very interesting, but not of much use really

so to clarify i got this right, theres: M. spilota spilota (Diamond) and M. spilota variegata (other carpets)?

and the M. bredli and M.imbracata (southern carpet) are isolated 'full' species and do not come under M. 'spilota'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back