Bynoes (the cloning gecko)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
a couple of other geckos, komodo dragon, scorpions, and various other inverts

The komodo dragon doesn't make clones of itself, as the offspring they produce are all male. They can produce young on their own but only produce male offspring. The theory is that it's used as a survival mechanism, if a female monitor was carried to an uninhabited island, she would be able to produce offspring which she could mate with and continue the species. Similar to how a honey bee will produce all males if her eggs are unfertilised. Correct me if I'm wrong.

i thought the were sexually reproductive?

They do. Snails are hermaphroditic and I believe (and correct me if I am wrong) that after sexual reproduction by the use of shooting nasty little barbs into each other, both snails can become pregnant because each of the snails has all of the parts.

I think that flowerpot snake can also reproduce asexually? Might be wrong though.

yes i know any 2 snails can mate but i wouldnt rule out that none can reproduce by themselvs

sorry didnt read it properly, you said asexual reproduction not cloning.

Last edited:
I feel sorry for the male Bynoe's gecko's, must suck for them!

lol the species that reproduces isnt actually heteronotia binoei, its a separate species and there are no males of that species so i feel sorry for the males in the fact they dont exist:D:D:D

lol the species that reproduces isnt actually heteronotia binoei, its a separate species and there are no males of that species so i feel sorry for the males in the fact they dont exist:D:D:D

It's a joke ;)

lol i know, and according to sdaji i think he said there is 2 or 3 different species of the cloning bynoes

As said, the parthenogens are all female, so there are no males in the species to be upset. Having said that, the females are phenotypically similar enough to at least two of the sexual species to convince themselves and the males of those species that copulating isn't such a bad idea. The copulation is of no genetic consequence, so the males never need to pay child support to members of another species; paternity testing will confirm that there actually is no father at all. The males all have female conspecifics, so everyone is happy... except perhaps the sexual females as they might have a bit of trouble competing with the parthenogenetic girls for access to sperm. This might be an accidental advantage of the sexual baggage the parthenogens carry, which is traditionally viewed as a collection of negative traits which evolution is unable to remove.

C'mon, Shine, Kearney, Moritz, get those species descriptions published to clear things up for the non science nerds! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back