Cairns :D

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakeluvver

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Very excited, next month I should be going to Cairns! Always wanted to go to north QLD, and since by then itll be warming up the reptiles should be out. Just wondering what I'm likely to see? As in I know WHAT reptiles live there but I dont know which ones are commonly found.

Whilst living around the area I found most common were Carpet Pythons, Whip snakes, common tree snakes, Death adders, Browns, Tiapans... to name a few Happy Herping
Crystal

Thanks Im very excited I'll also be doing some diving and we'll be going to the lave tubes down south very excited

Check with the Undara Lava Tubes web site (contact them) as to what activities are on. I believe most of the tubes were flooded and apparently still are from the last huge wet season we had.

Check with the Undara Lava Tubes web site (contact them) as to what activities are on. I believe most of the tubes were flooded and apparently still are from the last huge wet season we had.

Undara was one of the best experiences I had in my several years in FNQ.

Do the sunset and night tour - it's so worth it!

200,000 micro-bats flying out with night tigers picking them off in the trees - absolutely the best experience ever!

If the tubes are flooded, the sunset tour will still be on because you don't go into the tubes.

200,000 micro-bats flying out with night tigers picking them off in the trees - absolutely the best experience ever!

This only happens in the height of the summer - Dec - March.

It is amazing! Sometimes there is 6 snakes hanging on the bushes snatching bats.

i-6MFbgwh-M.jpg
i-gN7Wb2s-M.jpg

That is fantastic. Will definitely have to get there one day.

Plenty of pedes,T's and scorps there as well Alex.
Happy hunting.

Plenty of pedes,T's and scorps there as well Alex.
Happy hunting.
Yeah Im hoping to get some awesome pedes to add to my collection, wouldnt mind a scorp or T on the side ;)

Those pics are amazing Michael I wish I was going during Summer

In September, the nights are usually quite warm, so you should see some herps on the roads. A few years ago, Sep was the best months for Death adders - all males, looking for sex but they were in good numbers.
Good luck.

The problem with Undara is it is all guided tours. But I agree it was great when I went there two.

If you go to Mossman gorge you are likely to see Northern Angle Heads.

If you go to Mossman gorge you are likely to see Northern Angle Heads.
Yeah we're planning to go to Daintree, I'd love to see a Boyds! You say theyre common there, but Southern Angle Heads live in huge numbers in a NP near me but theyre extremely elusive and all the times Ive been to that NP I havent seen one, are the Boyds the same?

Yeah we're planning to go to Daintree, I'd love to see a Boyds! You say theyre common there, but Southern Angle Heads live in huge numbers in a NP near me but theyre extremely elusive and all the times Ive been to that NP I havent seen one, are the Boyds the same?

I saw a boyds, mid summer, on a tree, in Mossman Gorge... Mid summer tho! Huge rain pour - one person walking ahead so the dragon moves around the tree to hide, and the following person sees it :)

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back