Cairns :D

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I walked around Mossman gorge on a very cold day with almost no sun and found one. Do the loop walk and look at trees appx 5-15cm diameter. You are watching for the shape of the animal jutting out from the tree, or the movement of the animal on a tree. I was told by someone that walk around the gorge on a sunny day use this method and you will get one 100%, I don't know how true that is but I used the method on a dreary day and it worked for me. If it is a bit dark under the canopy use a headtorch to check out trees at about head hight to twice head hight for lizards, if not to dark the shape of the lizard would be better highlighted without a torch. The method slim6y says probably works quite well too.

For Southern Angle Heads, go to this National park in mid-late Spring and walk along roads with soft loamy clay I guarantee you will get nesting females.

A lot of things has changed at Mossman Gorge. No more driving to the car park, you have to leave your car at the new car park and get bussed to the gorge (by the local indigenous people). I am not sure if it has been already implemented but there are going to be tours only, like at Undara. The worlds is shrinking!!!!!

Thats a shame.
Either way I hope I see some reptiles. We've planned out our trip and we'll probably be staying at the Daintree Wilderness Lodge, apparently they get frequent Boyds and Cassowary sightings. Also will do some diving while up there.

Not going as far North as the Iron Range are you? :p Cassowaries are everywhere you will be sick of them by the end of a week. Boyd's are probably not seen there every day because people are not looking for them, I'm sure you will see some. Lots of geckos up there take a torch.

Thanks, Ill look out. Ive never actually seen a wild native gecko, only AHG's. I'll definately be on the lookout for boyds as well as scrubbies and whatever else Cairns can throw at me! Now, get back to studying for your trial HSC GeckPhotographer ;)

A lot of things has changed at Mossman Gorge. No more driving to the car park, you have to leave your car at the new car park and get bussed to the gorge (by the local indigenous people). I am not sure if it has been already implemented but there are going to be tours only, like at Undara. The worlds is shrinking!!!!!

This is not the case anymore, they just did that because they were constructing a big canopy walk which gives you a great view of the gorge at a 10 meter height. Now you can drive into the gorge and walk wherever you want. The 2km loopwalk is great, you'll def find stuff there.

Spring Creek is a great walk too, it is in the hills from Port Douglas. If it is not to wet, you can walk in or next to the creek all the way to Mowbray Falls and there's a lot of herps around there too. It's about 2 hrs to the falls and back. Let me know if you want to know exactly where to start as it is a bit tricky to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back