Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got an Darwin carpet for my first snake. Bittey as a hatchling but obviously as I held her lots she stopped completely and has never bitten again... Also, their patterns just keep getting more amazing as they get older!

I got an Darwin carpet for my first snake. Bittey as a hatchling but obviously as I held her lots she stopped completely and has never bitten again... Also, their patterns just keep getting more amazing as they get older!

How big do they grow?

Hey all, my name is Mark and i am new to this aswell, im planing to get a childrens python as my first snake. Thank you to all of you for all this information yous have posted. it has helped alot. one other thing in need info on is with the heating, what do you guys recommend, lamps heated rocks and matts? whats the safest and best for a childrens python, also energy wise in costing to run??

Thank You
Mark

Hi Mark,
Avoid using heat rocks or heating mats as these can often burn the snake. Instead, use a heating daylamp with a mesh protector around it (you can buy these ready made from any petshop). Put it in one corner of the cage so you have warm/cold areas in the cage.

Hey all, my name is Mark and i am new to this aswell, im planing to get a childrens python as my first snake. Thank you to all of you for all this information yous have posted. it has helped alot. one other thing in need info on is with the heating, what do you guys recommend, lamps heated rocks and matts? whats the safest and best for a childrens python, also energy wise in costing to run??

Thank You
Mark

Glad you asked, I needed to know that too :)

Get a Jungle :) The most beautiful snake in the world! Will be snappy when its young but will calm down and totally worth it. To be honest, all snakes are different. To stereotype them is impossible. You just need to talk to a breeder and pick one that is already placid or has already been handled. If you do happen to get a snappy one, don't fear. You will get great satisfaction in taming it :) And trust me when i say, a juvenile snake's bark is far worse than its bite!
wow. come and handle some of my jungles. trust me they didnt calm down, just got worse. i guess your right in saying to stereotype them is impossible. its true you will find a placid jungle. i have seen and handled them in the past. but id think most would agree that 75% of jungles are snappy and are for experienced handlers.

wow. come and handle some of my jungles. trust me they didnt calm down, just got worse. i guess your right in saying to stereotype them is impossible. its true you will find a placid jungle. i have seen and handled them in the past. but id think most would agree that 75% of jungles are snappy and are for experienced handlers.
I would say out of my 20 plus jungles there would only be 5 that would eat you for the first 10 min but they dont attack me when i change water etc my enclousers for my adults are 900x900x600 they just watch me and seem to know what iam doing . But in saying that i always use hooks for every snake from my Bredlis to my Womas good practice. cheers

ANTARESIAS are hard to beat i feel with their compact size , i feel they are very varible in colour and pattern . not as bright as a good jungle but nice all the same . to say whats better macs,stims,childreni is a waste of time their all so different and great in their own way . also you can keep alot in a limited space and collect different locals, patterns .ect . i find each python very predictable ,you get to know what they are all like some are very food focused ,and you got to be careful if you dont want to take a bite , others are more layed back , some eat out of your fingers, some wont eat in front of you . yeh they are all great i think :lol:

Yeh I have to agree that they are all different. Well from what I've heard. I think eventually I will get more than one snake. Can you keep different types in the same tank? e.g spotted & childrens

Yeh I have to agree that they are all different. Well from what I've heard. I think eventually I will get more than one snake. Can you keep different types in the same tank? e.g spotted & childrens

you could but its frowned upon on this forum :lol: but yeh they would most likely get along if you wanted to do that maybe get 2 females and seperate them when feeding time as you could put in 2 rodents but they will both want the same one :lol:

i think you probaly could its recoomended not to but you could get a large tank like really long and put a divider throught it?

also dont be worried about getting bitten they dont hurt at all its better to get it use at the start my spotted bit me today ive had him a month now? he doesnt bite all that much hell ive had him 3 weeks he went into my t shirt and fell asleep in my armpit!

but then i did get tagged today by him i saw him do it but didnt feel it i was showing my mate him and we both laughed as it was just funny but i looked a couple hours later when playing guitar, because my fingertip was hurting (been playing a while now so why would my fingers hurt)
i look down and i had a bite mark! he never peicred the skin before

now that i have finished my story hope your getting closer with your decsion its so hard to find just one snake as they are all amazing!

Edit: thats what i meant but mabye glass in the middle so you can still see both snakes unless you can walk around the whole enclousre sorry about the crap diagram i tried doing it quick
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| Hot End
| cool end
|___________________________________Divider______________________________|
| Hot End |
| Cool end
|_______________________________________________________________________|

Last edited:
It's safer to house Antaresia together than Morelia (carpet varieties) or Aspidites (BHP and womas). If you get 2 females or a male and a female of the same size, you can make it work. I've kept a male spotted and a female stimson together for years, but I feed the spotted in a tub so there are no fights. He's the better feeder and is not so disturbed by being moved before and after feeding. Both are great snakes and very placid. The size is nice and they can't do much damage even if they go psycho (which they have never done).

as was said, get all three! I can guarantee you that you will not stop at one. YOU WILL GET MORE!!!! I got my first snake in May 08 and now have seven..... :)
As for heating, I use heat mats or cords. If you use a thermostat you should not burn your snake.Set the thermostat to 30 to 32 degrees, checking temps with a good thermometer. But a lot of people on this site use cords and mats, and I don't think they would put their valuable and much loved pets at risk.

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-herps/guide-to-build-a-click-clack-dial-up-warning-93266

that my good friend, will tell you how to set up your click clack for your hatchie!! GOOD LUCK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back