Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakeluvver

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
This snake is very rarely mentioned, and I know very little about them. Are they colubrids? Venomous? Are they ever kept as pets? All I know is they live in water :? just thought about it now!

yeah i actually want to know more about them.
as i love freshwater aquatic reptiles :D

Hi :),
File Snake are non-venomous, Solid-toothed snake whose small scales are finely keeled and pointed. There skin is very loose fitting and coloured brown to olive brown under belly is whitish. A prehensile tail is used to anchor the snake onto aquatic plants and tree roots; the eyes are very small, and the nostrils valvular. there is two species for file snake only one is available to private herpetoculturists the little file snake (Acrochordus granulatus) is not available.

File snake are best kept in aquariums with consideration given to three main factors; water quality, security/shelter and suitable enclosure mates (ect. turtles, croc are some i know of) Low loght levels are also an important consideration. Water needs to maintained at a neutral PH reading and about one third of the volume changed per week.
a good filter system is constant operation is also necessary but should not be vigorously stirring up the water.

About 3/4 should be filled with water and then at branch or platform for the snake to rest on outside the water, File snake should not be handled unless absolutely necessqry at this can also be a major cause of stress.
An adult will feed on 2 large goldfish about every 10 days.

Enclosure size is about L 1200mm W 450mm H 450mm
Heating and lighting
the water temp should be 28 degrees Celsius using protected aquarium heater and any overhead lighting will raise the water surface temp to about 32 degrees Celsius. Low light levels are preferred by these snakes and any overly bright lighting can be detrimental.

Live young about 9 - 16 :)

hope this helps for more info get the book "an introduction to keeping & breeding Australian Reptiles"

*Sigh* I'd love to get a couple, but the hubby's not keen. Maybe later on... when I've nagged enough lol

*Sigh* I'd love to get a couple, but the hubby's not keen. Maybe later on... when I've nagged enough lol
Yeah i'm looking at getting one or two :)
also forgot to mention dont keep file snakes with file snake...

Just imagine, a File snake and a GTP together in an awsome combination display tank from Stein Enclosures.
That would be amazing!!!

Just imagine, a File snake and a GTP together in an awsome combination display tank from Stein Enclosures.
That would be amazing!!!

thats exactly what i was thinking :lol:
and maybe a monitor or ewd and some turtles and some nice arowana and other mad fish :shock:

Hi :),
File Snake are non-venomous, Solid-toothed snake whose small scales are finely keeled and pointed. There skin is very loose fitting and coloured brown to olive brown under belly is whitish. A prehensile tail is used to anchor the snake onto aquatic plants and tree roots; the eyes are very small, and the nostrils valvular. there is two species for file snake only one is available to private herpetoculturists the little file snake (Acrochordus granulatus) is not available.

File snake are best kept in aquariums with consideration given to three main factors; water quality, security/shelter and suitable enclosure mates (ect. turtles, croc are some i know of) Low loght levels are also an important consideration. Water needs to maintained at a neutral PH reading and about one third of the volume changed per week.
a good filter system is constant operation is also necessary but should not be vigorously stirring up the water.

About 3/4 should be filled with water and then at branch or platform for the snake to rest on outside the water, File snake should not be handled unless absolutely necessqry at this can also be a major cause of stress.
An adult will feed on 2 large goldfish about every 10 days.

Enclosure size is about L 1200mm W 450mm H 450mm
Heating and lighting
the water temp should be 28 degrees Celsius using protected aquarium heater and any overhead lighting will raise the water surface temp to about 32 degrees Celsius. Low light levels are preferred by these snakes and any overly bright lighting can be detrimental.

Live young about 9 - 16 :)

hope this helps for more info get the book "an introduction to keeping & breeding Australian Reptiles"

Wow. THANKS :D

If anyone actually has these snakes I would be super keen to acquire one :)

Me too, I wonder how much though... Seeing as they're not rare in the wild, they shouldn't cost too much. Yet again, I may be wrong.

Me too, I wonder how much though... Seeing as they're not rare in the wild, they shouldn't cost too much. Yet again, I may be wrong.

Cause they stress out so easily this can cause them to die so they are not often kept as pets or breed in saying that they are about $500ish give or take

Oh. They're hard to keep. NEXT :p Nah kidding.
haha A keelback is housed the same way and a lot easier to keep doesn't stress as much :p
Plus you can actually hold a keelback you just have to be very careful not to break the tail it is very delicate :)

keelback is a colubrid snake non-venomous as well about 18 eggs and enclosure size is L 900mm W 450mm H 450mm :)

Keelbacks are cool. However the reason I was thinking of File Snakes is I am planning a aquatic enclosure in the future. I may have to substitute a File Snake with a Water Python (my fave python :p)

Keelbacks are cool. However the reason I was thinking of File Snakes is I am planning a aquatic enclosure in the future. I may have to substitute a File Snake with a Water Python (my fave python :p)
Oh yeah sounds cool :)

Thinking of a big tank with a rock island and 50cm deep water! And one big Water Python with maybe a few fish :D If he doesnt eat them that is.

pthonpac are you just reading from a book and posting it on here?

a year or 2 ago someone on here bought one transfered it to there place (never had one before) and in a week had a whole tank full of babies!

they are more commonly kept than what you think.

donks

i think its the fact that they grow at slow rates plus they only sexually mature after about 6 years.
So if you manage to keep them for 6 years with no troubles then get them to breed.
I'd say your nearly jebus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back