Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leon1980

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Yeah. This topic has been done to death. I get that.

But I am getting my first elapid now my licence has come through.

This is coming from a guy who has had plenty of colourbrids and a few rattlers in europe, has posted a lot of silly things, got really embarassed and has come back to the forum with a sense of perspective.

When choosing a first elapid, I was conscious of i guess three tiers (as I was told) of elapids

1 - tigers, copperheads, most blacks
2 - browns, king browns
3 - taipans, fierce

THis makes sense. TO me at least.

FIrst tier wil make you sick and hurt. SEcond tier might kill you. Third tier will kill you.

All ego has gone. I am not after biggest baddest etc.

But I have settled on a tiger. For the following reasons - tell me if these are rubbish - i want a meaningful thread so people in my situation, and there are a few, can make a sensible decision and enjoy their elapids safely.
I picked a tiger because they are readily available, so is the antivenom, they are fairly cheap, and they usually strike the first couple of times with their mouths closed.

Is this the right logic? I also think they are beautiful. I am not going to graduate beyond tier 1, but I think i might end up with a couple of tigers

Tigers will kill you and belong in the second tier. They can also be very moody and unpredictable at times, in saying that though they are normally pretty docile but they can turn for no reason at the click of your fingers.

There aren't alot of elapids that aren't potentially lethal that are appropriate as starters.

I own some tigers and will be getting more, but as a first i would strongly recommend a rbb, colletti, copperhead and adders. Given adders venom is more potent in a word than the black snake family, but they are very easy to maintain and are no where near as active ie flying round the cage striking as soon as something in the room moves!

Tigers will kill you and belong in the second tier. They can also be very moody and unpredictable at times, in saying that though they are normally pretty docile but they can turn for no reason at the click of your fingers.

Exactly my thoughts.

i understood death adders are the quickest strikers in the world.... i do like the viper look, but the venom is full on... maybe a copperhead?

They are (adders), but in a nutshell they are lazy and rely on being able to hide. They only strike when hungry or being annoyed ( in my experience ) really easy to move for cleaning and such.
Copperheads are also great as they are generally a very shy snake and reluctant to strike. Once they are going strong on rodents they are great snakes to keep.

Your choice of first elapid should not be based on the effects of their bite, but on how well you can avoid receiving that bite in the first place. Your experience with colubrids and pit vipers will give you minimal preparation for dealing with Australian elapids.

Red Bellies, Colletts and Spotted Black Snakes make the best first elapids. They are very predictable, good feeders, resistant to husbandry mistakes and are easily managed.

Death Adders and Tigers are not good first elapids. Tigers are short, heavy bodied snakes that catch a lot of people off guard. When tailing, they can get to your hand twice as quick as an Eastern Brown if they want, and the results can be just as devastating. Death Adders are great if nothing goes wrong, but are one of the most dangerous snakes if you need to restrain them (i.e. to remove a retained eye scale, or debride a mouth infection).

I would be listening to jonno mate ..... Rbb would be my recommendation with the limited experience I have with elapids

Last edited:
I have absolutely no experience with keeping Vens...but did a vens handling course...and if I ever did (but wont) go down that path my vote would be the Collets...a relative of the black snake...but one of the most beautifully coloured snakes and from what I hear quite placid.

for what it's worth and against the flow I see nothing wrong with your original choice.

well i've never owned any but with all the reading i've done as a teenager and with speaking to snake handlers and catchers rbb would be the best starter i'd say. but hell go for the inland taipan lol jump in with both feet i say :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back