Galah as first bird

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakeluvver

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Would a galah make a suitable first bird? My mother would like to get one. We are aware of the housing requirements as well as the noise issue, and we have PLENTY of spare time to play with it. So keeping that in mind, would a Galah be ok?

Would a galah make a suitable first bird? My mother would like to get one. We are aware of the housing requirements as well as the noise issue, and we have PLENTY of spare time to play with it. So keeping that in mind, would a Galah be ok?

Get a ring neck.

Nothing wrong with a galah ;-)

Ringneck on the other hand... :p

Who said they where unsuitable?? They are not as long as you are prepared

Yeah their big, noisy and you need a licence I think. Get one just make sure it won't be too much for you

You do need a license but in Queensland birds can be added to your reptile license for no extra dosh. Other then that most intelligent birds (the ones I would class as good companion birds) are noisy so as long as you are ok with a medium sized bird then go for it :)

We babysat our neighbors Sulphur Crested Cockatoo for 2 weeks and didnt find it too difficult, so I guess a Galah wont be too hard as Sulphur Crests are bigger and more attention demanding.

Depends what your license is for? You had options when you originally applied for it. Does it say birds on it or only reptiles?

I'm pretty sure you do not need a licence to keep a galah, they make great pets given the time and proper care devoted to them. They need a decent sized aviary, lotsa fresh fruit and veg with seed mix, (try avoid sunflower seeds as much as poss.) and constant access to fresh water. Also noteworthy is the fact that they can live upto around 80 years in captivity if cared for properly so definitely a life long + responsibility, though a joy to own :)

I'm pretty sure you do not need a licence to keep a galah, they make great pets given the time and proper care devoted to them. They need a decent sized aviary

Oh you dont? Im in QLD by the way. And we wanted to start with a 1.5mX1mX1m cage then move up to an aivary, is that okay? The book i found said that a 1mX1mX1m cage is the minimum.

you dun need a licence mate and they make great pets as long as you put time into them. Get a hand raised one thats about 12 weeks old, doesnt matter what sex they are, talking depends on the individual bird. its like having a ADHD 2 year old but they do grow up quick and make wicked mates. good luck with everything

I found mine very noisy, destructive, could not get enough attention or be entertained enough. And I hand raised it. If you're going to get one as a first bird, go spend time with one. They are not like an older cocky. They can be extremely hard to please, no matter what time you have to spend with one. They scream, and destroy everything they can get their beaks around.

From my experience, I wouldn't recommend them as a first bird. But, if you are going to get one, find one that you can spend some time with first, and I don't mean 5 mins of cuddling, I mean the hours of screaming and eating the furniture, before you decide to purchase your life long, ADHD 2yo companion.

I found mine very noisy, destructive, could not get enough attention or be entertained enough. And I hand raised it. If you're going to get one as a first bird, go spend time with one. They are not like an older cocky. They can be extremely hard to please, no matter what time you have to spend with one. They scream, and destroy everything they can get their beaks around.

From my experience, I wouldn't recommend them as a first bird. But, if you are going to get one, find one that you can spend some time with first, and I don't mean 5 mins of cuddling, I mean the hours of screaming and eating the furniture, before you decide to purchase your life long, ADHD 2yo companion.
Thanks for that (I'm not being sarcastic). I'll try to find one to see what they're like, thanks for your advice as that is exactly what I wanted to know.

RiBeag is on the money. I had assumed that they would be a controlled species but I just checked and they are on the exempt list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back