Giant cave geckos

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluewater

Reaction score
Hi guys, just wondering who out there is keeping giant cave geckos?
I know there are a few, just wondering if there are many about, are there many being bred/sold?
Any of your experience with these would be great to hear. Very curious about these guys and there captive requirements.
Cheers, Grant

Yes there are, not a huge amount being bred compared to other species, they generally require more room, at least to be kept together as they have a tendency to kill each other.

Cheers Jason, I have heard that before. Given the right enclosure are they difficult to maintain? Do you know anyone locally who breeds these?

Jeff at Herpheavan breeds them and so does Robert Porter at livefoods unlimited

When kept individually, they are very easy, simple animals to keep. They have a remarkable appetite and will consume anything in front of them (including your fingers). They are a pugnacious species and would be akin to the douchebag, a**hole of the gecko world - as in, will search you up and down and go out of their way to hurt you if you annoy them (I'm kidding of course), but seriously, they aren't your typical species that will flee immediately when disturbed. Once your hand enters the cage and it gets too close for comfort, expect WWIII to begin.

As JasonL said, keeping them together can be tricky and finding a female that doesn't enjoy tearing limbs off her partner seems to be the key to successful breeding.

Thanks for the info guys, rocket from your description they sound great! My kinda gecko. Ive read the section in keeping and breeding aust lizards and the few documents online, is there any other reading you can suggest?

Cheers trench, Ill follow up on those guys

I think Neil Sonnemann wrote an article on them quite a while back. Don't ask me when and where - I literally cannot remember.

These are some photos of my male - mind you, I was lucky to get out with those photos without copping a bashing.

Attachments

• DSCF1355.JPG
    DSCF1355.JPG
    276.3 KB · Views: 348
  • DSCF0312.JPG
    DSCF0312.JPG
    317.8 KB · Views: 340
He's just kept in a wooden, front opening vivarium. Whilst they saxicolous and arboreal, admittedly, he is in an enclosure longer than it is high. It seems to do him though. I have lots of slate, rocks, hides and bricks etc in there with a water bowl and box full of sphagnum moss in case he needs it (rarely goes near it). I heat him with a halogen light and that keeps the enclosure quite warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back