Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dar1stheory

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

Just seeking a bit more feedback and ideas on my CCP.

He's roughly 47cms long using his last shed skin as a reference, but still won't eat!

I've had him for maybe 7 weeks now, and therefore he is approximately 7 months old, VERY skinny, (which based on some other juvy pics doesn't seem too odd)

Only eaten 1 time since I have had him, some may remember in my earlier post I had some success with leaving a defrosted fuzzy in the floor of the enclosure, and after about 15 minutes he had decided to have a crack at it...

I have since tried a few different methods of scenting, tried defrosting in a plastic bag to avoid losing the original scent through "washing" it in hot water, and then tried wiggling it around, leaving it sit in the enclosure, nothing seems to be working at the moment...

I've avoided handling generally speaking, picked him up on average once a fortnight, checked him for mites etc... He's snappy as when I get him out, been tagged on the fingers a couple times, and yet shows no interest at all in a mouse at all, (maybe he's a humanivore?)

Also, putting him back in the little plastic tank that he calls home is no easy feat! I've read heaps that the warm and secure confines of home is what they crave as a youngin, but I find myself almost in a tactful game of chess when trying to put him back in, (picture a kid using their legs to brace themselves against the doorway to a dentist chair!) and then once inside, he frantically rushes around the enclosure, sniffing around the top where the venting is, from end to end appearing to search for a way back out! I've changed the substrate each time I've had him out, so I think the hygiene should be fine?

With this behavior being regular, and given that he has been in his little tank inside the big tank for nearly 2 months, I thought I'd let him have a go at roaming, thought maybe stretching the legs a bit might give him an appetite...

He's on a reptile bark substrate floor, plenty of fake plants and log hides etc, and for 2 days he's opted to stick around the cool vented end of the enclosure, behind some of the shrubbery. He's been moving around from time to time, but only seen him active in that particular end. The temp reading inside is 29degrees on the warm end away from the enclosure, the heating is coming from the top of the enclosure, 120cms above the floor where his little tank sits, from a purchased Fluoro/Infra Red combo lighting set up...

Tried feeding him again where he's been hanging, same result, no action...

Any idea's? How long til I need to consider force feeding?

Thanks to all!

doubt your doing anything wrong but few things that could be tried is to increase temp in hot spot to early 30's 31-34 would be good start point,

have you only tried mice? have you tried rats?
try splashing some chicken noodle soup on the mouse ( yeah but don't put mouse into saucepan with the soup )

where abouts do you have their enclosure is it in main room with high traffic or in backroom

Ive found it easier in my world to heat my BHP with a heatmat with thermostat underneith it set at 32c and a hide rock sat directly on top. They stay hidden that way because the heat is inside the hide, but i dont have any stress issues and they always take the feed. I used this technique with a brown tree snake too, and no problems even though they are renown for being fussy feeders.
I put my rodents in a cup of hot water and then massage the body with my fingers to soften up the rigamortis :D I also used to break the arms backwards so it made it easier for the BHP to get down when he was tiny. ANd yeah i wriggle it around, but i dont let got at first when they strike, and jiggle it in a light tug-o-war, but not enough to damage teeth.
Mine let me know when theyre hungry, cos they finally come out of the hidey rock and pace around the enclosure, and when its feeding time, youd wanna be out of the way!!

There is a thing you could try , and Diane Stone actually told me this. try downsizing your food, because to him it may look to big, so even go as small as 2 sizes and if he eats it, then defrost another one and give to him. Other wise try putting him in a smaller tub inside his encloser for a couple of weeks. Good luck though, im sure its nothing seriously bad to worry about.

Other than that crank your hot end up to 32. 28 is to cold. If you want some really good info read Simon Stones Articles. www.sxr.com.au

doubt your doing anything wrong but few things that could be tried is to increase temp in hot spot to early 30's 31-34 would be good start point,

have you only tried mice? have you tried rats?
try splashing some chicken noodle soup on the mouse ( yeah but don't put mouse into saucepan with the soup )

where abouts do you have their enclosure is it in main room with high traffic or in backroom

LOL, are we talkin Maggi 2 minute, or traditional home cooked with real chicken? I never would have guessed that this would work! Cheers sacred!

And thanks to the others too, I'll invest in a heat mat and see how that goes, I guess the ambient temp is fairly good, but he has no opportunity for direct heat gained from a mat...

Get your hands on some chicken feathers (preferably from day old chickens - You dont want to choke the poor blighter) and after warming the pinky / fuzzy up, stick some feathers on it and offer it to him (they'll stick easily to the wet skin)...

You may need to entice him to take it by bumping him on the nose a couple of times, or tease him by moving it away from him to get him to strike, or even leave it alone with him for a while...

Also see what size he takes more interest in - As said earlier, he may find fuzzies too big, but he may also find pinkies too small...

Also see what size he takes more interest in - As said earlier, he may find fuzzies too big, but he may also find pinkies too small...

Yeah I have tried both sizes, the only time he's eaten for me was a little fuzzy that I ended up just leaving in the enclosure, which after a lot of procrastinating he finally came back and ate with ease. The mice I have at the moment are the same size or smaller than that one...

I'll drop in on the pet store and see if I can get a cocktail mix of smelly stuff, a handful of paper/litter that the live mice are on, some chick feathers etc...

Cheers mate

Ur talking about a coastal carpet yeh, 7 months old and 47 cms o_O my ccp is 2 months old and 54 cms

Ur talking about a coastal carpet yeh, 7 months old and 47 cms o_O my ccp is 2 months old and 54 cms

The size given was of a shed skin.Understand that they can be around 30% longer then the actual animal it came from.

if its been seven weeks give him a forced feed you'll poblably get tagged a bunch o time trying but once its a bit of a way down his throat hell eat the rest by him self do it with a pinkie mouse then put another one the same size in there and leve it with the enclosure covered check back in a hour

or you could just throw the food in there then cover the enclosure so he cant see you hatchos are scared little things so you want to make it as comfy and secure as you can during feeding. remeber a snake is at its most vulnrable when its got a food item halfway down its gullet and naturally wont put itself in this position if it feels anything other than 100% safe

imo you shouldnt force feed after only 7 weeks, these snakes can last months and months with no food, maybe braining the mouse or rat could help

i would never force feed..that is the last resort IMO.. have you had him to a vet for a general check up? maybe parasites? has he lost more weight? seems small for 7 months. I would be taking it for a vet check before anything...

If you wont do a vet check, deff. increase the heat, do you have a thermometer in the encl? dont handle him at all, is it in a quiet area, thoroughfare traffic and vibration could be a factor. How big is the enclosure?

Id Suggest feeding it in low lighting.. and do it when his on his perch or whatever because they are in ambush mode . thats how i got my diamond eating

i would never force feed..that is the last resort IMO.. have you had him to a vet for a general check up? maybe parasites? has he lost more weight? seems small for 7 months. I would be taking it for a vet check before anything...

If you wont do a vet check, deff. increase the heat, do you have a thermometer in the encl? dont handle him at all, is it in a quiet area, thoroughfare traffic and vibration could be a factor. How big is the enclosure?

I wouldn't say he's lost any weight, seems about the same. I'll stop handling, and get the heat up, I'm using a decent thermostat, and have a pet store good quality thermometer in the middle for an average temp, and a second movable one that I've used to check the hot and cold ends...

The enclosure is 1.2m high and wide, and 50cm deep, filled with fake plants and various hides, from the fake tree log type, to a couple of good old toilet rolls that have been used since he was real little for familiarity... I've had him in the tiny "click clack" type enclosure inside the big one up until a couple of days ago, but he really seemed to hate it, very eager to get out and stay out of it?? Since then he's been curling up behind different plants.

I KNOW everyone says keep them in the little tank until they are too big for it, but he wouldn't eat in there either, so I figured I'd give him a go at something different... My stimmo transitioned without any disruption to his feeding or behaviour as a juvenile, with similar behaviours, constantly seemed to be trying to get out of the click clack so I let him have the choice, and he chose out, so I kept it that way!

Thanks again for the advice guys, much appreciated!

I think that enlcosure is a little big for him, but as long has you put lots of different hides in there for him he might be ok. Leave him completely alone for at least 2 weeks NO HANDLING, then try another feed. Try a smaller food source, usually mice are the most attractive to young ones, try a fuzzy or two, so its not too cumbersome for him. Check that his temps are good and keep the warmth at around 32-34deg. Will pm you a good vet if you think you may need to take him there. I strongly recommend a vet check, just for health & safety sake.

Last edited:
Woohoo!

Thanks guys, a heat mat under the little tank (inside the big tank) at 35 degrees, and a blanket over the enclosure for darkness has done the trick, with quail feathers on a fuzzy for good measure...

Thanks again to all who offered their different tips and opinions!

good to hear..hope you have your heat mat on a thermostat? They can get awfully hot and do massive burn damage to your snake if its not controlled. Now that he has eaten, still dont handle him for awhile till he is eating a couple more times for you. Was your heat not strong enough do you think?

Yeah I haven't bought a second thermostat yet, so I'm using the one that was controlling the infra-red heat lamps in the top of the enclosure for now, the heat mat is under the bark substrate, and he's back in the little click clack with the kitty litter style substrate in there, no chance of being burned!

It seems like the heat and the cover of darkness with the blanket over the top did the trick, I might use that as my routine for feeding, so that the "Pavlovs Dog" theory of memory with feeding time is linked to the blanket instead of just an opening door...

Hey guys,

So after all the trouble I had with feeding my new Coastal Carpet, I'm now on a great run!

The final turning point appeared to have been changing from using an organic kitty litter substrate (recycled paper) to simply putting scrap note pad paper in the bottom, still on the heat mat at the same temp, but I'd imagine that the heat gets through better without the inch or so of kitty litter between the bottom of the enclosure and him...

I've successfully fed every 3 - 4 days, 2 pinkies one feed, 1 the next, for the last 2 weeks!

Best part is, he wouldn't strike in the past, in 4 months prior to this, he only ate about 4 times, and only by leaving the mouse in the tank with him, now he's striking quickly and getting to business!

Can feel the difference in the strength he has to grip on etc now, I'm so happy he's coming good!

Thanks again to all who gave me advice over the last couple months!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back