I want a GECKO!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leezel73

Reaction score
Hi guys
I've been looking at getting a new reptile and I love the little thick tailed geckos and just having a look on here heaps of you guys have them so I was hoping to get a bit more info on them...
What sort of housing should I use for it? (would like to have a nice set up)
Are they ok by their self? Or should I get a pair?
Do they need a light or heat mat? And at what temp?

Last one... Are they really boring?? I've been told that they dont do anything but neither does my spotted!!
Was kinda thinking of getting one with the Melb Expo coming up... Anyone know what sort of price I would be looking at from there??

Any info would be good
Thanks

Thick tails dont need much.
I have a pair and keep them together in a 2 foot tank on top of a snake enclosure
(cool end) around 26 degrees, thats all the heating they need.
The tank has sand substreight with a few hides. You will need a spray bottle to mist them with, every 2nd day and put a few crickets in the tank on the days between misting.
As they are nocternal they dont need UV.
Price wise your looking at $75 to $150 each, depending on size and sex.

As for finding them boring, I do.
Thick Tails arnt a herp that likes being handled, they hide a lot and during the day you will be looking at an empty tank 90% of the time.
At least your spotted can be taken out and be handled ect. Pythons can be interacted with more than a gecko.

In My Opinion, if you want a herp that has personality, a Thick Tail Gecko isnt for you.

holidays 011.jpg

thats what my set up is.

and they are not boring at all because when you feed them you can see them run every where chasing the crickets.My thickies don't have a heat mat because our house stays about 20-29 deggrees.if you have any more questions just pm me.

hugh:D

What sort of housing should I use for it? (would like to have a nice set up)

a tub or tank, with lots of hides (warm and cool end) heat tape or mat under one end.

Are they ok by their self? Or should I get a pair?

preferably by themselves, unless you want to spend alot of time making sure each animal eats everyday.

Do they need a light or heat mat? And at what temp?

harsh lights harm their eyes (they are nocturnal) a mat or cord is better, (get a temp gun) about 40c is good, down to 20C

Are they really boring??

YES.

what sort of price I would be looking at from there??

$100-150 ish.

IMO, Thick tailed Gecks are anything but boring. Yeah, sure they are nocturnal and you won't see them much during the daytime but you feed them at night and watch them stalk their prey. They slowly creep up on the crickets with their tails wiggling excitedly. Once you see this you will be charmed forever with them.

i am also looking to buy two thick-tailed geckos but a two females...can anyone possibly tell me where i can buy some (from a breeder or pet store) in the Sydney region?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back