ID Help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Casey

Reaction score
Now i know this is hard to do without pictures.. BUT i had a call from a woman in Eugowra which is about two hours from Dubbo. She has in a jar something she thinks is a snake but it doesn't sound like any i have heard of..
The description she gave me is as follows:

Its about 4 inches long
it is black with a blue belly
it has a white stripe going down its back
a patch of brown on its face.
I asked if she could see a tongue flicking and was told she could see "something" happening at its front but doesn't know what.
I also asked if she could see ear holes and she said she cant.

Now i have asked her if she could try and take a photo, but she said she couldn't get a clear shot through the glass, and is too scared to take the lid off.
I contacted the Grenfell branch of WIRES and got one of their snake people to give her a call, he didn't know what it was either.

So i'm trying to think of anything else that it could be...slug, worm, anything basically. So i'm wondering if anyone has heard of anything that looks like this and if so what is it?
Sorry for the long post..but it was kind of a long story :D

Doesn't sound like anything that is easily identifiable from that description, but that's pretty typical. A photo will answer your question very quickly.

I agree with Jonno. It could be a type of skink with extremely short limbs but yeah just poking around in the dark without a photo

Yeah i have been trying to convince the lady to take some pic's but she isn't really game enough. I cant blame her though.

If i can get her to take pics i will post them up..

ok so i have pics..they are pretty bad quality though. kind of looks like some kind of worm or something.
she said she couldn't get a pic showing the white stripe down the back.

herman1-2.jpg

herman2 2.jpg

herman3 3.jpg

inside bottle 2.jpg

is it a worm?
is it a skink with no legs, but a skink cant curl up like that
is it a legless lizard, nah same answer
is it an intestine

blind snake of some sort
prong snouted or proximus or southern
maybe........

Looks weird how it is stuck to the side of the jar in the last picture. Makes me think it must be sticky to touch.
Leech or worm I think.

I would say leech. Ive looked on google, can't find any blue ones but it looks like a leech

A species of flat worm, the description makes sense if you think worm and not reptile. Generally found in moist areas under rotting logs etc. Some species are carnivorous from memory.

Jordan

This is a leech, they only can hold on at each end, not the whole length of their bodies as flatworms can.

Attachments

• Leech.jpg
    Leech.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 83
Leech?

I get these around the yard under damp cardboard & wood :)
500.jpg

I get these around the yard under damp cardboard & wood :)
500.jpg

We get something like that too but ours are yellow and black. They are extremely sticky. I bet that is what this "snake" is although it is hard to tell with those pictures.

Yeah i sent the woman that pic, and she says it looks exactly like that...so thank you everyone for the replies.

your welcome Casey, thanks for the interesting critter to ID - love a challenge :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back