I'm fostering a Jungle Python Baby

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Griffin

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey gang.
I paid for a subscription and made a donation towards the server fund a little while ago because I want to chew peoples' ears who have more knowledge than me.
I have had a history with snakes (check my yt channel for a hint). However, I have recently taken on the foster care of this little tyke for 12 months. I'm slowly getting it used to us giants and I'm ensuring it has the humidity it needs. It's at the stage now where it will happily take a Pinkie every 7 to 10 days. Sorry about the pic. I replace its jungle every few days to help give it a safe environment. 20231106_112445.jpg

Attachments

• 20231219_190842.jpg
    20231219_190842.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2
What a gorgeous wee babby! That viv habitat looks lovely! Did the previous owners tell you to feed pinkies? I recently adopted a 17yo Bredli and the previous owners told me to feed her medium rats every 3-4 weeks; I’ve since started her on large rats every 2 weeks and it’s like night and day, she is so much chiller and way more active in her viv! Have you offered your beb anything larger to eat?

What a gorgeous wee babby! That viv habitat looks lovely! Did the previous owners tell you to feed pinkies? I recently adopted a 17yo Bredli and the previous owners told me to feed her medium rats every 3-4 weeks; I’ve since started her on large rats every 2 weeks and it’s like night and day, she is so much chiller and way more active in her viv! Have you offered your beb anything larger to eat?
I've noticed that after about 7days from the last feeding, it will sit up in the high branches and hang in a stalking pose, waiting for food. So I've drooped to 7 days. I was intuitively thinking (thinking like a python) that the pinkies are just a snack. I'll pop out tomorrow and get something bigger. Oh, and a query. I know that when they're young like this one, they'll hunt geckos. Problem is, ive read that geckos carry parasites that can negatively affect pythons.
Is that so?

Pretty sure my Jungle was on multiple Weaner Rats by 6 months old... If I'm remembering correctly.
Yeah, I'm thinking that it needs something more substantial. Especially now when the weather is much warmer.

Pinkies are only starter food, not having much nutrition and should only be the first 6 feeds. By now it should be on hoppers at least

Not worth the risk with parasites, just stick to commercial feeders :)
not that I promote feeding other reptiles to snakes , but if parasites were a problem then every snake in the country would be dead.

Back