January Too Late For Viable Eggs?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleo

Reaction score
Hey all, new here. I recently (8 weeks ago) bought my first snake (antaresia maculosa) from a pet store. I've wanted a snake forever and my partner encouraged me to get one. I was nervous about having feeding issues with a hatchling, so went an adult snake (told she is about 3 years). Anyhow, yesterday (January 1st) she laid a clutch of eggs. Everything I've read seems to suggest that early Dec is the latest they lay, so was wondering if they will not be viable? I couldn't get her off them, but didn't really try too hard as I was not expecting them and have no alternative set up (plus I had to leave for a 2 week work trip, so no time anyway). For these reasons, as well as being a serious noob, I haven't bothered candling. I figure I would just let her do her thing. Is there any point getting my hopes up that I might end up with babies?
Sorry for the long post, I'm just a little out of my depth.
Ps: she has fed regularly (4 feeds) the whole 8 weeks I've had her, and my partner is watching temp and humidity for me while I'm away. Should I try to feed her whilst brooding? Seems to be mixed opinions about this from everything I've read.

IMG_20170101_181953.jpg

Reactions: Yon
If the eggs are not viable the female will normally discard them within 48hrs. I have not heard of a female attempting to incubate eggs that are not viable for much longer. (Not saying it can't happen)
You can offer her small food items if you like but she may well refuse though some do eat given the opportunity.

Thanks Pauls. It has been 2.5 days since she laid, and my partner says she hasn't come out. So hopefully a good sign :) I will try to keep updating over the next couple of months.

Don't offer food during incubation - the less disruption the better. Place plenty of scrumpled (?) newspaper in the enclosure, and spray dampen it as required a couple of times a day if necessary) to keep the humidity constant and as high as possible. Keep the temp of the enclosure as constant as possible, around the high twenties to reduce the amount of energy she uses to keep them warm. If a heatwave threatens overheating, place the enclosure in the coolest part of the house (bathroom floors are good).

Jamie

So I asked my partner just to do a quick check on her, and she is still coiled up nicely. Didn't appreciate being disturbed (but now I know she's fine, completely content to not check until due date). She's ditched out a couple of duds, but (I think) the rest look good.

received_10154993155409124.jpeg

received_10154993155619124.jpeg

Reactions: Yon
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back