Keeping Blue tongues

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizza212

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi im new to this forum and from what i have read it is very informative. I have been wanting to get an Eastern Blue tongue for some time and because the information on the web can be sketchy i thought i would ask some experienced keepers.

Do you need a license to keep a blue tongue? If not do youy need one if you have a larger number etc?

If i wanted to breed them would you need a special license for that as well?

If i did breed them how hard is it to find a pet store or person to buy them?

Thanks, Dizza

Cardinia - vic ?
if in vic , no need for a license to keep or breed eastern blues .
as in how hard to find buyers - that deppends on how much your asking . having said that the pet shop i go to is flooded with blues atm .

Yeah cardinia shire in victoria. might fix that up.
Got told by someone i did need one and was worried cos i have had an Eastern for about 2 years now.:D
Shes a big beautiful girl with a couple of scars from being attacked at her original home by a dog. Im looking at breeding so i thought i would take the oppurtunity to ask a few anonymous questions.

At the moment she is in a 3 ft tank with a single basking lamp and a heat rock. I am planning to build a large 2 level melamine tank to keep her in, along with maybe a breeding partner in the lower level.

Thanks for answering those questions. which store do you go to and where their blueys reasonably priced?

Last edited:
u see eastern blues for sale on this site some times , all the pet shops i know of want atleast $80 each .
i picked up 2 easterns with enclosures earlyer this year for FREE . do u getthe thursday ad out your way?
heres the 2 i picked up.

Attachments

• 27915.jpg
    27915.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 27916.jpg
    27916.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 92
Nice looking blueys. what are you using for substrate there? yeah i do get thursday ad, havent seen any in there though. guess ill keep watching it though.
i know its not wise to keep 2 males together but what about a male and a female all year round?? will the male just pester the female constantly?

i just use oz kitty litter and some hay for burrowing substrate .
i cant tell the diffrence between male and female blues , i keep 2 blotches together without any issues. they were only young when i got them , maybe i lucked out and ones male and ones female . either way the blotches have never fought.
where i got the easterns from they said that the did fight and thats why they were put into seprate enclosures . when i get the snakes probed ill take all the blues too [ 5 blues in total- 3 easterns and 2 blotches ]

what do you recommend for heating?
Im going to put in a UVA and UVB light tube and i have a heat rock but should i use a ceramic heating element or a basking light to heat the air in the tank?

i just have a uv fluro light and a flood light style of globe for basking [ a lot cheaper then the reptile brand ones] and i have found they last longer too . i use the phillips brand flood light globe [100wt] from bunnings , with a cheap on/off thermostat . a temp gauge in/near the basking area , i have all of my lights on timers too.

That sounds good, especially if they last longer. The reptile brand ones wear out quickly and are pretty expensive. Thanks heaps for your help its been really helpful.

Heres a pic of my girl, not very good and it was taken on my phone but you get the idea:D

Attachments

• 01012007990.jpg
    01012007990.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 69
Heres a sketch up drawing of what im planning on building. first attempt on sketchup so its not very good. any thoughts? thinking of using perspex for the sliding doors.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back