King Skinks

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

salebrosus

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Does anyone out there have King Skinks?
I had one and just bought another, not knowing what either sex was but still hoping i would have a male and female. The most recent one has a nasty temper whereas the one i had since a wee bub is gorgeous. I was worried i might have problems putting the two together as my original was a bit smaller than the other but it seems they are very affectionate towards each other- they share the food and eat at the same time, sleep wrapped next to each other at night, lie together during the day they never leave each others sight. There is no sign of aggression towards each other or any sign of dominance.Does anyone know of how to sex these guys without X-rays?Has anyone seen this sort of behaviour in King Skinks before? I'm curious to know if they are communal like Land Mullets and what behaviours other peolpe's King Skinks show.
Thanks All,
Simone.

Where did you get them from simone,possibly the new larger one might be a wild caught WA.If it is it will settle down in time,theres a few experienced wa herps on this site that could probably tell the difference in sexs with adult animals i would imagine.(you have had no response cause the west aussies are too busy raping pilaging and torturing her majesties wild reptiles) :lol:

Hahahahaha thanks heaps oldfella. I knew that once i got the animal home and picked it up the following day it was wild caught. Tried to rip my finger off and when i tried to pick it up with the bag the way it shook that bag i am so glad it wasn't my finger. Vicious. Beautiful specimen but oh the temper. But like i say towards my other King Skink they are all lovey dovey. The behaviour between the two i have never seen with any of my other animals, not even my pair of Cunningham's that have been raised together since bubs.
Thanks for the reply,
Simone.

Kings Skinks

Yep Simone there vicious baby vicious,its that little trouble maker womas beating the little buggers every morning with bamboo to tuffn them up for deliverance to the east.Give him some bread and water to make him feel at home.Has he lost any toes from the rack or has it just made him a bit longer. :wink:

RE: Kings Skinks

He wanted it, said if he's ever gonna pound that stupid toyota camel into dust and get his own tv role that he needed to ' harden up '. Who am i to refuse ' The King '.
PS he likes egg whites as he believes that ' you gotta be lean to be mean '. Go kingy, go son go

Kings SkinksThats

Thats the way womas,ya got to make them live off of there own mites mate, shows them whos boss. :)

RE: Kings SkinksThats

No i bought the animal believing it to be a captive bred animal but it's behaviour shows that its far from that. It was an interstate thing so i never saw it before hand but even though its a nasty bugger it a magnificent skink. There is nothing it doesn't eat. Rolled oats with egg, banana and honey is a favourite but if its not a rock or branch and it's in its enclosure then it gets eaten. There is no problem with the animal but i am curious to know if other people have had similiar behaviour patterns in their skinks towards other king skinks or other skinks in general.
Simone.

Kings Skinks

Never been an owner of kings skinks.I gather though that a large male would stand over the less dominant males etc but then you could have 2 females they some times also develop a pecking order.There is a breeder of kings skinks in south QLD simone that some times sells on reptiles downunder,would imagine he would be the person to ask. :D

There nice animals used to see them all the time when i lived in WA. Do u have any pics of them yet?

Kings Skinks

Simone,look behind the kings front legs for the womas trademark,cigarette burns to make it talk.Wellsi havent really got black heads its the old womas ashtray trick.

Hahahaha that would explain why my vocal little bugger squeals everytime my brother lights up a smoke.
Will take some pics overnight and post tomorrow-hope it doesnt try to attack the camera.
Simone.

King Skink Pics

These guys are usually kept outdoors but have been brought inside to a temp cage until they get sexed next Monday and so i could take a couple of happy snaps of them. I have two other pics if people want me to pst them too.
Simone.

RE: King Skink Pics

They look good. Would they be ok to be kept out side in a pit with a stumpy and a bluey?

Looks like a chunky robust skink, are they hard to come by? Is that a fully grown adult ?

KingSkinks

There are large egernia hey instar! looks adult the larger vicious one,juvs were obtainable last year for about 200 bred in the east although ads and juvs would be obtainable in WA the gov fees double the price(almost).Worth though if your a follower of royalty. :p

My King Skink shares an outdoor enclosure with three other species, one of them was smaller and i have never had any friction or territorial type behaviour amongst them. The big guy is a fully grown King Skink the other about 3 inches shorter. I dont believe you would have a problem with having a Stumpy and bluey in the one cage but i'm open to other people's opinions and experiences.
My hand raised one is a pearler. When feeding them woodies this avo the big one lunged at my finger and as i pulled my hand out he grabbed a woody and killed it out of spite. This allowed my nice one to have a free for all and he jumped in the tub and chewed on everything that moved, there was no way i was going to be able to get him out of the tub. So he's sitting there with a pot belly and his head held high and he loves finishing it off with a rub under the throat. Wouldnt dare do it to the big guy though.
Simone.

I think I'm the breeder oldfella is talking about. If they get on together, your on a winner, i cant put anything in with mine, nothing i want to keep alive that is.It is their teritory and they wont let anything in.Heres a pic of the babies i got yesterday

Probed the lizard Simone, still not sure, how deep did your boys probe, heres some pics anyway.

Its about 18 inches so it has a bit of growing still to do, but should be sexually mature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back