Murray Darling pattern colours

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ytamarin

Reaction score
I fell in love with a little Murray Darling python today, and I'm now looking for more information about them. The main question I have is, do they often have grey pattern only, or do most have creamy-brown colouring on them as well? Is it possible to tell if a hatchie will grow up to have only black & grey colouring? Cheers.

awww thanks ray!

she is beautiful.....

she is mainly grey and black, but she does have brown in her too.... i'd say pretty much all of them will have atleast some brown in them.... some more than others obviously.

Aah yes very beautiful Matt, I did have a look at that thread just earlier, I know because I've had that Rhianna song stuck in my head since then "Ella ella eh eh eh" *sigh*
I've been reading up on them and apparently the northern Vic variety have less brown on them...what locale is Ella?

not sure on her locale, although i beleive she is SA, not VIC or NSW? but im not sure....

and i always thought that SA was less brown and VIC/NSW were more.... i could be wrong... never done much research on them myself!

let me know any good info you find out! :)

Hmm...found this on the SXR website:

"Currently, we are only breeding the South Australian Murray-Darling form of inland carpet. They differ subtly from the Victorian inland carpets, having a little more colour in their flanks and slightly paler banding."

Don't know if "colour" means black or brown colour.

I have 2 of them one is 10 months old and the other 7 months old atm they look mainly silver and grey..

If you browse my name you will find threads with pics.

Love em to bits.

I bought one in August and another earlier this month.

Be careful you wont stop at one ... lol ...

Mrs I

xxx

Reptiles Australia Volume 3, Issue 2 has a ‘beginner’ python buyers guide, the article is written by Simon Stone.
In it he says something along the lines of, the further towards SA you get, the browner the colouring is.
I can’t remember much more than that, and that issue is at work.

Anthony

Thanks Anthony, sounds about right compared to what SXR say. This is good news (sort of) as I'd love to have a Victorian snake.

This is from Reptiles australia vol3 issue5, "keeping and breeding inland carpet pythons".
"we have found in most of murray river region of VIC that the MD's are generally covered with a dark, almost black pattern contrasted with a lovely silver background. As you move further north into NSW the dark pattern becomes a lighter brown color, and as you move into SA increasing touches of maroon appear in the sides of the snakes the further south you go."

Interesting hey... and i spose that answers ya question :p

Bill.

Yea gotta be quick around here mate :p

I always start typing a reply and by the time i hit "post quick reply", 10 other people have already said the same thing before me lol.

I LOVE mine - i actually think they're one of the prettiest snakes around - lovely silvery colour... and so gentle.. and i can vouch for URS...

Great, thanks guys :)
I always seem to go for the less 'colourful' ones...water python, patternless childreni, MD with no brown in it lol
I'd like to see examples of the 'maroon' colour though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back