My little beardy doesn't look good

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephh

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Please I really need some help...

I have noticed my little north west bearded dragon is not good at all. I will refer to him in this matter as I dont know sex yet.
Anyway I noticed this afternoon that he was draging himself aroung the cage on his front legs and stomach only, which basically has freaked me out. I have been observing him over the last half and hour or so and when he tries to climb up on the branch its like his back legs have locked up and he struggles to pull himself up. His back legs (both of them) twitch and he just doesn't hang on with both legs just the front.
He has had no change in diet since I have had him which has been about a month. He eats fresh vegetales i.e brocolli and carrot and has crickets once every three days. I only buy my crickets from the same petshop and none of the other lizards are displaying this type of behaviour.
He shares his tank with other one other north west beardy, the other lizards are in their own enclosure and have not been in contact with them. The other beady is displaying normal behaviour.
The other sick little beardy is still trying to lift his little hand and tries to wave it around but it seems like its a struggle.
Heat wise. they have a basking lamp with a 50w globe on one side. The enclosure size is 50cm wide x 25cm x 30cm.
I really need some advice on whats wrong with the little guy. I dont know of any reptile vets in my area that will be open at 7:30 at night. He will be off to the vet tommorrow, but would like to have some idea of what's wrong with him.
If anyone could help, I would really appreciate your guys imput
thanks
steph

i recently had my favorite beardie die with the same problem, she had fallen off a log and landed awquard on her hide, breaking her back and losing control of everything below the break. poor little thing

sorry to hear about your little beardie, one of my little guys died a couple of months ago its so sad.

Sorry to hear its gone, its going to be a sad day when my lil girl dies, hopefully its not for a long time.

hrmmm i'm just wondering if you had Uvb lighting over them at all ?

So sorry to hear about your beardie, sounds as if he may have broken his back. If you can afford it, it may be worth taking him to the vet to check it out, just so you know the other one is safe. You don't want to suddenly lose the other one as well.
Sometimes these things just happen though.

sorry to hear u lost your beardie its such a hard thing 2 deal with when a pet dies

Thers nuthing anyone can really say to cheer u up about it its allways so sad once again im sorry for your loss

hrmmm i'm just wondering if you had Uvb lighting over them at all ?

To answer your thought yes I did have UVb lighting on them, They had a branch that was directly under the light. And yes I could feel the heat if I placed my hand under the bulb, and yes the bulb was new and yes it was a UV light.

Yes I also know it was probably my own fault that he got sick, a number of things probably I should have done better but I really cant help that now.
To those thanks for your kind words, I have not had a animal die on me, this is the first I have lost and to tell the truth is it not a pleasant feeling.

hey dont beat yourself up. these things do happen. if you did do something wrong, make sure you learn from it

Sorry to hear you lost him

What size food did you feed him and what was the temp under the basking light? Its sounds like he may have had some kind of blockage. If they eat food thats a bit to big for them in can cause a blockage in their stomach, which can cause paralysis in their back legs and twitching too.

I hope you didn't think I was saying it was your fault? These things can happen to anyone. I was concerned for the other beardies wellbeing, as I'm sure you are as well. I had a scare with one of my snakes last night as well, she's now in the reptile hospital for a few days with RI. So I know what you must have gone through. Sorry for your loss.

sounds like it might be a calcium metabolic problem, factors related to this are , diet, uv lighting , cage temps, pathogens and also it could be genetic , so dont let it get you down especially if others from your collection kept by the same methods are fine .

Sorry to hear your loss, I had a Baby pass about a year ago due to the same problem except in the front legs. I a yet to learn about what it is, all i know is it is very sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back