Need help identifying a snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trousersnake22

Reaction score
Pretty new to snakes I purchased a snake off someone who sold it on behalf of their partner in jail and couldn't tell me about it at all
It looks a bit like my Darwin python but I'm thinking it could also be a coastal Jag I originally only wanted to buy an enclosure but bought this too because I felt bad for it it was in an enclosure with no heat and the girlfriend was too afraid to feed it and didn't even know the last time it ate.
Also I'm still waiting for his details to transfer it to my name and don't know what to do.

Attachments

• IMG20220713233658.jpg
    IMG20220713233658.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG20220708172900.jpg
    IMG20220708172900.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_2022-07-09-17-23-18-82_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-07-09-17-23-18-82_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 37
Definitely not a jag

looks like a stock standard coastal, could be a X species but who knows, only breeder knows

You won’t be getting the license details, you now have an unlicensed snake in your possession.

Should I report who I bought it off?

Would I be able to ring up with their name and ask if they even have a license?

You won’t be getting the license details, you now have an unlicensed snake in your possession.

Hi Herp,

Just wondering how you came to this conclusion so quickly? I would have thought that all the OP needs to do is have the GF of the owner to fill out paperwork once they have the license number of the previous owner, and all would be right.

The only problem I see with the OP is that they purchased the animal before getting the license details which means that the incentive for the seller to provide the information may drop significantly or be thrown into the "can't be bothered anymore" category - meaning that they would have an unlicensed snake and that it's wise to never purchase and pay for a snake without the paperwork up front. (Or if the bloke is in prison, maybe it's a reflection on his character and the snake was never licensed to start with?)

I have a question regarding deceased estates? If I pass away - does that mean that my snake can't be sold to someone else by the estate and will automatically become unlicensed / requiring her to be put down.

(Not being argumentative, genuinely looking for the right answers or trying to see if I've misunderstood your response).

Hi Herp,

Just wondering how you came to this conclusion so quickly? I would have thought that all the OP needs to do is have the GF of the owner to fill out paperwork once they have the license number of the previous owner, and all would be right.

The only problem I see with the OP is that they purchased the animal before getting the license details which means that the incentive for the seller to provide the information may drop significantly or be thrown into the "can't be bothered anymore" category - meaning that they would have an unlicensed snake and that it's wise to never purchase and pay for a snake without the paperwork up front. (Or if the bloke is in prison, maybe it's a reflection on his character and the snake was never licensed to start with?)

I have a question regarding deceased estates? If I pass away - does that mean that my snake can't be sold to someone else by the estate and will automatically become unlicensed / requiring her to be put down.

(Not being argumentative, genuinely looking for the right answers or trying to see if I've misunderstood your response).
Unless you have the full details Inc license number of the original owner, you have an unlicensed snake. End of story. No exceptions.

If you are lucky she may be able to get the license details from the bf in jail but this is unlikely as she had the opportunity prior to the OP collecting the snake.

At this stage with no license details, your animal is illegal as there is no evidence that it was a captive bred animal or legally wild caught, and as you cannot prove this, there is zero chance of any licensing office anywhere in the country allowing you to keep the animal as this would allow loopholes for people to exploit. In some states, seized animals can be adopted through a lottery process but in most cases they will be put down.

To answer your question, in the case of a death, you still have license details that can be used by your estate to transfer ownership to another person.

Short answer, NEVER EVER EVER accept or transfer an animal without seeing the physical licence in person.

The OP stated they have contacted NPWS, they ARE going to have this AND possibly their other original python seized. NPWS will offer all the assistance they need to find the animal, then you will be raided.

I sincerely hope the GF comes through with the licence details.

The OP stated they have contacted NPWS, they ARE going to have this AND possibly their other original python seized. NPWS will offer all the assistance they need to find the animal, then you will be raided.
Sometimes NPWS will be lenient if it’s a common animal (carpet python, bearded dragon etc) and put it on your license via their systems. But yes at the same time they can just ask for your details and then you will get a knock at your door asking for the new animal.

I'm not from NSW so I'm not aware of their individual processes, so thank you for the clarification.

Good lesson here in this thread. The moment you take possession of unlicensed animals you've broken the law and leave yourself open to not only lose your wildlife permit but also have your legally acquired animals confiscated. In this country they keeping native wildlife is considered a privilege

Its in my name..

I just said I asked for the license number and she said she will log into his stuff and find it and text it to me and didn't send it (which is what happened)

Back