Nesting Material

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wildthings

Reaction score
Hello, was wondering if anyone has used coco peat for their birds as nesting material in the nest boxes ? If so what are your opinions on it.. I have researched the stuff pretty thoroughly and haven't found anything to make me think it would not be suitable, What I'm most wondering is will it dry the eggs and will the hens eat it ?

Hello, was wondering if anyone has used coco peat for their birds as nesting material in the nest boxes ? If so what are your opinions on it.. I have researched the stuff pretty thoroughly and haven't found anything to make me think it would not be suitable, What I'm most wondering is will it dry the eggs and will the hens eat it ?
I used to use it for some of my parrots. The eggs should be dry anyway. They have hard shells....

True but they are porous and do dry out when the weather is dry, when this happens the lining on the inside of the egg dries and sticks to the chick making very difficult for them to chip all the way round the egg so they can get out, sadly I've had a few chicks die this way, they just can't move enough to escape :( I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back