New amethystine python clinging to bulb cage!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zekonis62

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just brought home this beautiful ≈5ft male. After exploring his enclosure for a time, he settled wrapped around the very top of the bulb cage, hidden from view due to the enclosures lip. Has anyone experienced this? With any snake? Ive felt the cage before and it doesn't get crazy hot but I still worry. Here is a picture of him with the bulb cage behind him, and a photo of him around it. He is in a 4x2x2 for those wondering. He'll get a much bigger vertical enclosure eventually. CD74E35A-B09E-4099-92D5-8EEC00204A35.jpeg

I've had other pythons do this. I eventually stopped using any lights/heaters which required cages. I've seen them cause more problems than I estimate they've prevented; snakes getting stuck inside them or trapped with their body squeezed partially in them causing physical injury and burns etc etc.

For lizards it's not usually needed to use guards on the lights, and there are only two or three Australian pythons I'd want to use spotlights for, none of which I keep any more. For Scrub Pythons I just wouldn't use spotlights, I'd use floor or ambient heat.

Eventually your snake is likely to open up that light cage, especially if he like wrapping around it. The catch on the spring isn't particularly secure. If you do want to keep using that light with the guard, I'd suggest giving ample climbing opportunities and perches so he doesn't look at that as the most appealing option. It looks like he's keen to climb/perch as high as possible and currently wrapping around the top of the cage is the highest option he has. An elevated platform or a hide box mounted to the enclosure's ceiling or better yet both would probably keep him happy.

Nice looking snake! Quite different from our Australian Scrub Pythons.

Back